Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Zipper Jib Halyard tension  Bottom

• I took my Taipan 4.9 out for the first time last weekend. Really great boat. Very crisp compared to the worn out H16s and H18s I am used to sailing.

When sitting on the beach I noticed that my rigging was loose when compared to the other cats on the beach. This boat has a roller furling zippered jib. The jib halyard (wire) runs up through a block just before upper swivel back down through the zipper. At the end of the wire is a short piece of spectra line, which is terminated on a jam cleat near the fuler drum.

I have pulled the halyard as hard as I can and the rigging still seems loose.

Any ideas?

I have photos, but am not sure how to post.

--
    Jon -- Dallas, TX
    Taipan 4.9
    --
  • Added photo in the beach cat identification section. Under Taipan 4.9

--
    Jon -- Dallas, TX
    Taipan 4.9
    --
  • When applying down haul tension to a jib that has a zipper luff, only apply enough down haul to just take out the wrinl
    kles in the luff. If you over tension you will make the forestay loose, and that is not what you want.
  • I am under the impression that your trying to tighten the rig with jib like a Hobie 16? You tighten the rig on that boat by the side stays. Have a friend trap off the side while you do it.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Yes, I am trying to tighten like a Hobie 16.

I will try adjusting by the side stays. Thanks

--
    Jon -- Dallas, TX
    Taipan 4.9
    --
  • Yes what Bacho said is entirely correct the jib halyard tension is only for controlling the draft in the jib.

You want your rig tight before hoisting sails.

Another trick besides the trap wires is to use the main sail to tension the side stays if the breeze is light and you don't have a friend. Move the traveler all the way to one side and crank on the mainsheet. The shroud the main is on should be loose and allow adjustment.
  • if you have a furler with ring and use this "Portuguese turnbuckle system" you should be able to tighten your rig without ever needing to touch your side stays (esp now that you aren't going to over-tighten your jib halyard)

if you have the h18 style furler where a chain plate slides down-n-through the fulrler body, and you "pin it" during stepping.. .you should adjust via the side stays as stated above
  • I have the Hobie 18 style furler.

Side stays are the threaded type, with calibration marks. Seems like a pain to loosen and tighten them each time I setup the boat.

--
    Jon -- Dallas, TX
    Taipan 4.9
    --
  • Loose rig = Bad
    Tight rig = good

Being able to stick both boards and rudders under one arm to carry them to the boat, priceless.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.