Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Ways to secure a catamaran on the beach  Bottom

• Good morning,

I am looking for ways to safely pull a catamaran on the beach and then secure it against the Wind. I saw a few flying catamarans in the previous years around the lake and would definitely like to avoid it. Any simple ideas would be appreciated. The catamaran always stays near the water. I made a search on the site, but English is not my mother language. Please redirect me if this was covered in the past.

Regards,

JT
  • If you shoreline is sandy, you can use earth augers, approx 24-30"
    to screw into shoerline they have an eye on the top that should be
    almost flush with ground tie a rope to each corner of frame or 1 at
    bow and 2 each side at rear X beam. i remove mine for winter, doug
  • i secured my 18 square by using a shovel and burying a concrete block 1-2 feet underground with a piece of chain to the surface with a 1/2 line tied to the ends of the chain and than tied to the dolphin spreader. made it thru sandy with no problem.
  • Hello JT,

When I take my cat to foreign beaches ( France, Texel ), I always
    bring 2 used 13" car tyres and a army-style spade (folding) .
    With some strong rope, tie a loop around the tyre, about 1.5 meter
    in diameter.
    Start digging the tyres in as deep as you can, only 1 or 2 inch
    of rope should stick out of the sand and make sure you fill the tyres
    with sand when you burrie them.
    Now you have 2 eyes to secure your cat with line or straps.
    Last Texel race we had Bf 9 on the beach and some cats went flying,
    ours was save and secured.
    Cheap and easy solution.

Regards, André

Edited by catmodding on Apr 15, 2013 - 01:55 AM.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Thanks all. This is much appreciated. I like the idea of having something more comfortable for the feet protuding from the ground such as chain or rope compared to a piece of steel. Tire idea is very interesting and affordable.

Best Regards,

JT
  • I dig tiedowns into the sand - 2 vertically up the beach, positioned at the front x bar and the back x bar. I've seen them endo on the beach if both front and back aren't secured. Dig them deep enough that only the ropes are sticking out. Tie to the front and rear x bars, in the middle of the beam. That way if the water reaches your boat, it can't float and fall back down on top of the posts when the water recedes (I've scratched up hull before with post to each side of the boat). Also I remove the plugs when beached, so if the boat floods, it sinks and stays put rather than floating around. I might not do that with a newer boat but it works fine for old beaters.

Edited by Sawyeraj on Apr 15, 2013 - 07:43 PM.

--
    AJ Sawyer
    Nacra 20
    San Diego, CA
    --
  • cheapest way that works if on a sandy beach...take an old drywall compound bucket or get a utility bucket from home depot and fill it with sand and tie it to the front crossbeam. boat won't go anywhere. lots of 18s where i am use this method never had any issues.

--
    Mike Conway
    H16
    Hilton, NY
    --
  • what ever method you use... make sure you use NEW strong lines

I have seen boats tied down and have the lines break and the catamaran got pushed up the beach into a park bench

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.