Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Need tailor  Bottom

• Last November I bought brand new, Stolquist dry suit from Murray’s. It was medium size that fit me very good long wise but was too tight in upper body. Decided to exchange for the large size. Upon arrival in February (the newest version) found that upper body section of the L size fits perfectly but pants were way too long. On suggestion from Murray’s I sent that suit to factory for alternations to the length and that’s where problems started.

The length they need to shorten the suit is about 4”. The easiest way would be to replace leg portion from the medium size suit but they already sold out all M sizes and won’t have any until end of May when they run next production cicle. Their suggestion was to cut off from the bottom of the pant but that will leave the articulated knees in the middle of my shin. They also can’t cut it off at the waist because of the fly zipper. I wanted them to cut above the knees but they don’t recommend that because of the taper of the leg. I know it is doable (my father was a tailor and I have seen more complicated alternations than this) but I can’t get them to do it. What should I do? icon_confused

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • Have you considered trying a different brand of dry suit? a Gil perhaps? taking a knife to a brand new 500 dollar dry suit (or more) seems like a bad idea.

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --
  • May isn't that far away. I know you will miss spring sailing, but a correctly done alteration will last many more years then taking a chance on cutting up a new suit and having it leak. Anywhere around that rents drysuits? To get you past this spring? I did that for SF bay sailing a couple years ago, but rented it out there.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I just re-read your post... you bought this is November so at this point I'm guessing you own it...

Does that dry suit have internal suspenders? Also, try a belt on the out side to hike it up a bit. This will get you over this spring while you find a drysuit repair guy... most likely a scuba shop.

There is a scuba place in Evanston. I never have been in there, but driven past it a few times.

Plan B, show everyone how much a stud you are and just go speedo. I mean Lake Michigan is up to what 33 degrees? I think I saw some ice still.

Lake Michigan Cat Sailors Rule! I mean ... yeah we are cold and stupid but it's still fun right?
    http://wilmettesailing.com
    http://youtube.com/user/abnorm58

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --
  • nhansonI just re-read your post... you bought this is November so at this point I'm guessing you own it...

Does that dry suit have internal suspenders? Also, try a belt on the out side to hike it up a bit. This will get you over this spring while you find a drysuit repair guy... most likely a scuba shop.

I think I can still return back to Murrays if I have to since I received the replacement in February. I would prefer to make it work somehow. It is very nice, high quality dry suit and that's why I went back to factory to make professional alternations.

nhanson
    Plan B, show everyone how much a stud you are and just go speedo. I mean Lake Michigan is up to what 33 degrees? I think I saw some ice still.

Lake Michigan Cat Sailors Rule! I mean ... yeah we are cold and stupid but it's still fun right?

I have plenty of speedos left from my swimming days and I have also done windsurfing in march with ice still floating around so I guess I am all set... icon_lol

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • Quotebut I can’t get them to do it. What should I do?

Not sure this will help, but it is my experience:

i purchased my first ever dry gear this year
    my friend had a kokatat gortex bib that i wanted

when i went to purchase it ... i found out they were a bit hard to find a dealer (they didn't accept direct orders)

when i found out that our local hobie dealer (tackle shack) was a dealer i went down to the shop to talk with them. I have been dealing with these guys for over 15 years now... They are not only a hobie dealer they are also a scuba shop (and kayaks, etc)

one of the owners (andy) and i talked about wet/dry suits
    he told me that kokatat was the only company that still built their product in ameraca (all others contract out) and that they were the best quality. He explained that Gul and other drys had gone to cheap labor and materials and Gul in particular were poor products. He went on to tell me that they stopped carrying them because of all the failures (leaky seams)

When we did order the bib, he called kokatat up and they asked for my personal size (height, weight, waist size, shoe size, etc) and produced me a custom fit for the same cost as "off the shelf"

when i went back a few weeks later to purchase a spray top .. we went through a similar discussion . He had gill spray tops but told me that after a single race, sailors were soaked head to toe.

i ended up with a ronstan spray top and have been extremely pleased with it

so in the end, my advice would be to return what you have, and get a custom tailored kokatat suit and be happy

Edited by MN3 on Mar 28, 2013 - 09:17 AM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.