Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

First bits of good news this spring - Sandy Cleanup  Bottom

• As anyone in the NY/NJ coastal community can tell you it's been a long winter after Superstorm Sandy and most of us are looking forward to spring to rebuild and get back out on the water. In the past weeks there have been some barges out on the Barnegat Bay using side scan sonar to map out the debris (houses, cars, boats) that was washed into the bay when Sandy forced the ocean across the barrier islands. The company NJ hired to do the cleanup is from MS where they cleaned up the lakes after Katrina. These guys also guaranteed job completion by 6/1. Then they will start the dredging operation. Right now the tidal cycle is 12-18" higher than normal at all tides due to a huge amount of sand brought in by the ocean surge. New sandbars, shoals and shallows will be a real problem for power boaters, and monohull sailboats. The bay is shallow to begin with having an average depth of 6.5 feet. As of today the water quality is safe to swim in and eat the fish/crabs. So that's good news.

The municipal beach in a barrier island town where I keep my cat was very hard hit but they just announced that they will be allowing us to beach our boats again this year. Ironically both beaches bay and ocean side were heavily damaged but my cat cradles remained in tact. I could care less about the cradles, I'm just happy that the beach will be open and have some type of normal feel to it.

In the next week I'll be taking the cat our of the garage where she was protected from Sandy and the rest of the winter storms. I learned that my P16 is 8 foot wide and my garage is 7'6" icon_frown So I'll take the cat and trailer apart and reassemble again.

When I put the Prindle up for the winter I wanted to get her back on the beach in early May, that is still the plan but to me and many others it's more important this year to see people returning to the shore and things getting closer to normal.

--
    Bob Miller
    1983 P16 Sail # 7312
    "Miller Time" A work in progress; out of the water for 16 years
    Barnegat Bay NJ
    Beach Cat Lesson #1 - A free cat isn't
    Find more Prindles on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/173120656090532/
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.