Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Converting a port Nacra 5.7/570 hull to use on starboard side  Bottom

• We managed to get a 5.7 from a marine salvage yard, came with everything except no sails and rudders. One of the hulls is not repairable at all while the other is in good shape. We were also able to get a hull (570) but the only problem is that it's for the same side as the good 5.7 hull.

I guess my question is has anyone converted a port side hull for use on the starboard side or vice versa? Which hull should I work on for this conversion? Any advice or tips?

I am not sure if I am going to do this yet, I may just wait and see if a starboard hull pops up for sale or maybe for trade for one of my port hulls.
  • i have seen symmetric g-cat hulls swapped (port to sbrd, and strb to port) in an attempt to fix some rudder helm issues... the conversion required a good amount of work, epoxy, and time. in the end it didn't fix the helm issues..

however it is possible (at least on a g-cat)
  • For the most part, the issue is the chainplates and trampoline track. I'd imagine you're pulling the decks at the very least, but that's not the end of the world.

Are the 5.7 and 570 hulls the same?

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • yurdleFor the most part, the issue is the chainplates and trampoline track. I'd imagine you're pulling the decks at the very least, but that's not the end of the world.

Are the 5.7 and 570 hulls the same?

You are correct, the track is easy to do as it is riveted to the deck. I believe the chainplate will be difficult to cut out and glass back on the other side CORRECTLY. I was hoping someone has done this already and has pics or insights to offer to make it a bit easier for me.

They are pretty much the same in appearance and fitment, my dad and I were able to mount the beams on the two port hulls with little issue. I don't know if they're constructed the same way however. I'll have to take a closer look this weekend.

Since I would rather do as little work as possible, I am going to wait for a bit and see if I can find a starboard hull for sale or if I'm really really lucky - trade for one of my port hulls. If I have no luck, I will just go ahead and do it since I have all the tools/materials needed to do the job.

--
    Zach
    Yorktown, VA
    1984 Nacra 5.7
    --
  • Really all this work for a boat you do not have rig for? Just buy a good used boat, save yourself a ton of time and money. Just thinking out loud. Ricardo.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • You will also need to move the two small tabs,(one at each beam) that are attached just below where the beam mounts. There is a small tang on each beam that sits against these tabs.
    Lastly, but certainly not least is the bridal wire attach point. Have a look at your hull, it is not mound in the center, but set on the inboard side.
    This needs to be solid, as there is quite a bit of force on that fitting. You cannot get to it without removing the front deck area, as there is a bulkhead below the front beam.
    You don't say where you are located. There was a good starboard 5.7 hull in Texas, over a year ago, try calling him.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…rting-out-nacra-5-7.html

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • RicardObenReally all this work for a boat you do not have rig for? Just buy a good used boat, save yourself a ton of time and money. Just thinking out loud. Ricardo.

Actually I already have a 5.7 in good shape, just that I pretty much have enough parts to make a second 5.7. I just wanted to get an idea of how much work it would require to make a hull work on the opposite side intended and see if it's worth my time or not.

Edchris177,

He's a long way from me, I am located near virginia beach. Anyways, thanks for all the input guys - we are going to use the salvage boat as a parts boat. icon_smile

--
    Zach
    Yorktown, VA
    1984 Nacra 5.7
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.