Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 17 help  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I've been interested in sailing for a while but never got into it. I've looked into buying a boat but I know nothing about them. Sad since I grew up in Rhode Island. I was just given most of a hobie 17 by a friend. The hulls look really good, no soft spots and no obvious repairs. The mast and rudders are missing. I'm not sure what year the cat is, it was last registered in 97. From what I've read this seems to be a good boat to learn with. I do like a good project but I don't know what parts are interchangeable. Is this the right boat for me or should I sell what I have and buy another. Thanks for the help.
  • If you have everything but the mast and rudders you may be able to put the boat back together reasonably; however having everything else like sails, standing rigging, running rigging, trampoline etc would be the key. If any or all of those components are missing you are probably looking at more money to buy replacement parts than you would spend on a ready to sail boat.
  • I have both hulls, the 2 bowed bars that connect them, the rudder castings and the trampoline. Are the masts the same on the H16 and H18?
  • Your best bet is to find a H17 with trashed hulls or cracked cross-beams a buy it for cheap. Your second bet is just part the boat and use the money to shop for another sailable cat. H16 or H18 masts are different, but H18 may be closer. You will need H18 mast step assembly.

see H18 parts
    http://2010.archive.hobie…upport/pdfs/PARTS_18.pdf

Best luck, and keep us posted.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • ~~ Buy another boat........ Your going to sink too much money into that one... Whatever you DON'T have will cost you alot, parts will be kinda hard to find and / or costly...Standing rig & lines you can get anywhere at a fairly good-ok price... All of the mast's on Hobies are different . The 14 mast is smaller in diameter & shorter than a 16... The 17 & 18 mast are also different (mast base & step) The last two number of the Ser # is the year it was made..... Look for them on the back of the hull where the rudders will go......
    Tell us more about you,, age, weight, how many peeps would you take with you? their weight ETC ETC A 14 is a good starter boat but is mostly a one man boat. Ya can put 2 on it (depending on weight), but ya can bury the leeward hull and it's prone to pitch-poling and / or flipping ... The 16 is a better boat. ya can take 2 peeps easily, more parts are avalible and not as expensive.... The 17 is a one man boat (smaller hulls)... The 18. well thats another story (white-knuckle ride) Learn how to sail first, then up grade... Ya can also look into Prindles & Nacras..... Theyre also very good boats.... I don't know much about them except there good
    Hope this helps and keep us informed.... Sail safe & wear a LIFE JACKET~~ (I lost my friend)

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • Im 42, 6'3, 190lbs. I'd like something I can sail alone but may have 1 other person from time to time.
  • 6'3" but only 190lbs? So you're not American? ....just kidding.

I vote with everyone else-a complete used boat is worth about 3 times the price of buying used parts and putting something together. I don't quite understand it, but look at it this way: you have parts to sell!

The used parts section here is a great place to sell what you have. This is THE site for USA cat sailors inho! There's always someone out there that just trashed their precious and needs something. I have no idea what price to put. You could post "make offer" or maybe one of the guys here that buy/sell stuff a lot could give you a clue....

btw have you sailed on a cat before? Instant love for me

--
    Repairable P18
    --
  • There is a H 17 in Northern Cal in Craigs List.. Hulls are bad but he has other parts.. I have an extra H 17 that I might sell affordably that has a problem with one of the wing mounts in the hull but the boat has a trailer and is complete.. PM me if interested..

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • Pm sent
  • Pirate boy, I'm one of the hated people who can eat as much of anything I want and not gain weight. Sorry!
  • Get yourself a parts list and assembly manual for a 17. I think you can download it off this site. Take a detailed inventory of what you have and what you need. Troll around this site, the Hobie site, CL, and E bay to see what price H17 parts are fetching. That ought to give you an idea if you are buying or selling. These other posts are right about how quickly you can run up a tab buying bits and pieces. Spread out your CL searches to other cities. Good luck GH

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • Besides those cats that were mentioned, you may look into SolCats. SolCat is very easy boat to learn sailing plus is a lot of fun and fairly fast. No pitchpolling on this one. You can find them for cheap and if you want restored one I may sell mine. You can see it on this forum in Photo Album section, under Solcat on Glencoe beach. Either way you will have fun, icon_biggrin

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • I can help you with any questions or parts you may need. I sail and race both the H17 and H16 I have used H17 parts in PA
  • Great forum, you guys have been a lot of help. I have a line on an H17 with damaged a hull. Thanks for saving me ALOT of money! I'm sure I will have a ton of questions as I put them together.
  • Update, After much research and help from forum members and fleet 51, I've decided to keep my 17. I picked up a few parts on eBay at very good prices. A couple freebies. Got a few parts from a used parts dealer in TX. I'm into it about $400. I think I'm doing good. All I need are rudders, tiller, rudder crossbar and a sail.
  • QuoteAll I need are rudders, tiller, rudder crossbar and a sail.

If you are shopping for a used H17 sail,watch for delaminations in an old Mylar sail. H17 sails made of Dacron/Mylar (cloth/plastic) laminate. Once the plastic debounds from the fabric, it is done. The sail will loose its shape very quickly.

New OEM H17sails are very expensive. If you don't care about class legal sail, your best bet for a new sail is
    http://www.whirlwindsails.com. The one you see on the picture to the left, is a Pentex square-head from whirlwindsails, a nice upgrade to my H17.

Best luck

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • What does a sail like that cost?
  • QuoteWhat does a sail like that cost?

The regular price is $1200, which for a Pentex with a modern cut is a very good price. I was lucky enough to order early and got a significant discount. The wait was long, however.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • ~~ Hey Jack... Thanks for the reminder. My 17 is starting to come apart. How long did it take and when did ya put yer order in for the discount??? Do they do colors ??? I have a yellow cat and would like something to match with it !!! HHMMM >> $$$$$ ?? icon_rolleyes

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.