Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Dunedin area camping  Bottom

• I know there are a bunch of Dunedin area sailors on the board, so I thought I'd post this here.

My wife and I are looking to do some camping next weekend. We're interested in Anclote Key state park, but I'm unfamiliar with the area. From what I've read it's accessible by boat only. We are thinking of taking the Nacra out there if the weather looks good. Is there any place to launch a cat close by? Can I launch from Fred Howard park? Any other suggestions? Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Brent

Edited by bfoxg8r1 on Mar 22, 2013 - 01:35 AM.
  • You can launch from the honeymoon causeway and go north to anclote. Fred Howard won't work. There is a park just south of Howard but not sure if u can park over night. I think it's called sunset park it is in the city of tarpon.
  • i would not suggest launching from the dunedin causeway and planning a sailing/camping trip to anclote. You are talking about 25 miles round trip (or more) in some of the most shark infested waters in the USA, and trust me ... you don't want to be in the gulf with 2-400 lbs of camping gear (on top of your crew weight) if and when the wind picks up. Not to mention all the powerboats wakes you will have to navigate next to in the hurricane pass. Plus there is no alcohol allowed on anclote and they patrol that island all the time.

However Anclote is beautiful. If you are really set on that island, call (727) 638-4447. (permit may be needed) and parking... http://www.floridastatepa…otekey/activities.cfm#14

The spoil islands south of the Dunedin causeway are a a much safer idea. They are accessible via catamaran or rental kayak (or trimaran).

The big island just south of the causeway is great in cooler months (too many bugs in hot months) but it is a PITA during lowtide, so if you can schedule around the tides.. you will be much happier. the 4th island is good too but small and limited for things like using the bathroom

the 8th island is great, and rarely inhabited. and VERY ACCESSIBLE via the Seminal Boat Ramp in Clearwater. (the island is JUST north of the ramp)

PLEASE be a good camper and pack in - pack out. these spoil islands are now "adopted" as a last ditch effort to stop the state from closing them down .. due to trash that jerk campers leave (including couches, tv's bbq grills, mattresses and all sorts of things you can't believe someone would haul out to an island)

Lastly, you can get an overnight parking permit for the dunedin causeway ($10/weekend - 100/year) at the Dunedin rec center (920 Pinehurst Rd) that will give you 2 nights mast up storage (or car /trailer parking)

Edited by MN3 on Mar 22, 2013 - 07:34 AM.
  • Iliketosail- Out of curiosity why won't Fred Howard work? I was told today they have an area to lauch wave runners, and I see it on their brochure. Is it just the overnight parking issue? Water depth?I have a friend in the area to handle my truck and trailer. I also see there is a ramp at Anclot river park, but it looks like that is a bit too narrow to sail out of (just judging by google maps). I can't seem to locate the other park you're refering to.

MN3- I appreciate the spoil island idea but that will be plan B. We're pretty set on Anclote. And we camp very light. The 200-400lbs of gear gave me a bit of a chuckle. icon_lol We're experienced campers and pack in pack out. I'm not going to be the guy that ruins these spots for our kids.

We do have a full compliment of safety gear and will watch the weather very closely.

Gentlemen I thank you for your help and ideas! I'll let you know what we decide.
  • Iliketosail - I just found Sunset Beach park online. Is this a good launch? I have cattrax and someone to handle the parking situation.
  • I have looked at Howard park a few different times. I think you could manage but it wouldn't be very easy the causeway is pretty steep and would b hard to step the mast. I have seen a few cats go out of sunset. The only prob there is small power boats also launch and it may fill up quick on a weekend. It is pretty shallow there as well. But that won't be a prod unless a - tide.
    I would not go out of anclote it's real tight and the ramp is at an intake of a power plant with a real strong current. Also I would recommend the north sandbar of anclote no raccoons and no need for a permit. I hope this helps
  • QuoteAlso I would recommend the north sandbar of anclote no raccoons and no need for a permit.

raccoon's swim
    as do the rattle snakes (and the sharks)
  • Quote And we camp very light. The 200-400lbs of gear gave me a bit of a chuckle.

yea, i keep forgetting that not everyone brings a tv and satellite dish camping like we do
    http://www.christianholylandtours.com/images/camp2.jpg

http://www.christianholylandtours.com/images/camp.jpg

http://www.christianholylandtours.com/images/camp3.jpg

Edited by MN3 on Mar 23, 2013 - 05:54 AM.
  • MN3
    Quote And we camp very light. The 200-400lbs of gear gave me a bit of a chuckle.

yea, i keep forgetting that not everyone brings a tv and satellite dish camping like we do

That's hilarious! and looks very comfortable. top

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thanks for the info guys. I'll launch at sunset park friday, weather permitting. I'll report back and let you know how the trip goes.
  • After action report- We launched from Sunset park. It's a pretty nice launch area for beach cats or small boats. No overnight parking though. Nice winds this weekend. 10-15knts which was plenty considering the extra weight we had on board. We really enjoyed Anclote Key. Very pretty. Nobody there. Beautiful sunsets and plenty of firewood. Weather was perfect this weekend. In the 70s during the day and high 50s at night. Water is still a bit chilly!
    All told we had a great time. We'll definitely camp there again.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.