Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Florida Boat Registration???  Bottom

• I'm new to the state of Florida and need to know if I need to register my Hobie 16.

I've gotten conflicting reports and want to be legal.

When I went for license plates for my vehicles and trailer I was asked if I wanted to register the boat.
    Just under $100 for 15 months of registration.

I held off for now as I've not seen a single beach catamaran with hull registration numbers so far.

Do you have to register a sailboat?
    no motor, no paddle just the wind and a Hobie 16

thanks for the help

and if anyone knows anything about Vero Beach I'm looking for the low-down there as I'll be visiting in a month.
    posted this question earlier and didn't get much advise
  • From the states website:
    If the non-motor powered vessel is less than 16 feet in length, it is not required to be registered or titled. However, if the vessel is 16 feet or more in length, it is required to be registered and titled.
  • it is very simple. Yes and no, and in most cases it doesn't matter

the law is as stated above for registration

see the full state statutes for vessel registration here - http://www.leg.state.fl.u…28/Sections/0328.48.html

The same basic rules apply for the title
    see here - http://www.leg.state.fl.u…28/Sections/0328.03.html

Now the fact is your hobie 16 is longer than 16'
    it is 16' 7" as noted on the hobie website - http://www.hobiecat.com/sailboats/hobie-16/

It could be argued either way, you boat is classified as a 16footer, but technically is longer. You could get ticketed and lose in court.

I have lived on the west coast of fl for 20 years, sailed about 15 of em ... and have never seen a ticket written for lack of registration on any beach cat (regardless of size).. but it could happen, it could change.

the law was changed a few years back (used to be boats under 18' or 20' didn't have to be registered) but the issue to many of us legacy boat owners is ... since no registration was required in the past, many boats didn't come with a title. Another problem is we have many boats from Canada and England that dont have any paperwork and some of them don't even have numbers on the hulls to register.

I wouldn't worry about it until you get a warning or a ticket.
  • QuoteI have lived on the west coast of fl for 20 years, sailed about 15 of em ... and have never seen a ticket written for lack of registration on any beach cat (regardless of size).. but it could happen, it could change.

Having an Uncle who is a County Sheriff running river patrol, and has been on the water for most of his 20+ yrs, I asked him the same question about my boat. Not wanting to part with $98 every two years for no reason. His comment was that he rarely looks twice at anything with a sail and almost never at a boat without a cockpit. Law enforcement is smart enough to know that ski/wake boats are far more likely to be stolen and or operated irresponsibly than a small cabin-less sailboat. He's more concerned about ensuring everyone on board has a life jacket, than whether or not a sail boat which is within inches of the law is registered or not.

That being said, he still recommended that I register the boat. His reasoning being that it helps pay his wages and keeps the rivers and lakes safer for boaters like me. icon_rolleyes

If you beach sail I wouldn't bother, but if you lake or river sail, it might be worth the cost just to be on the safe side.

--
    Jeremy Hales
    1974 SOLCAT 18
    Salem, OR
    --
  • I wouldn't worry about it until you get a warning or a ticket.

the clerk at the county office was trying to put the fear in me, warning of a hefty fine if I was ticketed.
    she never did say how much it would be.

rollin' & tumblin' dice....6's, 7's & 9's y'all can be my partners in crime
  • I'm freeloading in Georgia, where the law is 14'. I bought the boat a few years ago from a guy who had no title for it. (30 year-old Nacra 5.2 - about 17'). Sent in bill of sale, Id#, and a check. Said they couldn't register it without title. Told me I could get the seller to sign something. Seller was a Navy swab and moved soon after selling the boat to parts unknown. Couldn't find him. Told DNR this; no response. So I'm breaking the law every time I sail. Tried to pay my money, but the state wouldn't take it. Oh well. Have been approached (he knew I couldn't stop) by patrol- asked to see life vests which I had. Asked where registration letters were. Told him I had bill of sale with me (which I did), had submitted paperwork, but no luck getting it all done. He just drove off, probably looking for some drunk redneck going 60 MPH in a bass boat. Will continue to sail this way until otherwise. Hope they don't catch on. Boat looks much prettier without the crappy letters and numbers cluttering up my polished white hulls.

--
    Eric C

Force 5 project boat
    Unnamed

Previous boat
    1980 Nacra 5.2
    "Double Vision"
    --
  • join the crowd. i have yet to see a fl. beachcat with registration decals. i have 2 and no registrations
  • there are people who sail around me with registered catamarans and registration numbers on it.
    Quotei have yet to see a fl. beachcat with registration decals. i have 2 and no registrations

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.