Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Um, how about some gel on those rudders??  Bottom

• So, I went to an auction this weekend and there was a Trac 14, Hobie 16, Aqua cat 12, and a Laser II. I got the Hobie and the Laser, but couldn't bring myself to even bid on the Aqua cat (though it had a nice trailer) and I was actually out bd on the Trac. The guy who got it was a big, fat country boy with mismatched camo. I think he just wanted the trailer because he had no idea what was on it.

I noticed something wrong with the Trac, the rudders were a brownish yellow color--What I was looking at were the foam core plugs of the rudders because all the gel coat had rubbed off!!!

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=101217&g2_serialNumber=3
  • That's a Sahara Cat rudder- very popular in the dunes.
    The Saharas get lighter as you sail them- what with all that heavy gelcoat and resin wearing off.
    Gybing as you crest a dune is quite a rush!
    The downside is stuffing a hull and doing a face plant in the very materal from which they make 40 grit sandpaper.
    Though if you choose your sand carefully the resultant dermabrasion could be a healthy benefit in a heavy acne or ugly tattoo situation.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • What kinda of auction was this that had 4 cats?

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • It was like a country auction where they took consignments from stores that went under, storage unit buyers, thrift shop owners. They also had estate stuff. The boats came a long way from a marina on a lake. I think they were abandoned.

They auctioned off chickens, tractors and a collection of old plows (lawn ornaments). I never thought I would end up a a place like that.
  • QuoteThe downside is stuffing a hull and doing a face plant in the very materal from which they make 40 grit sandpaper.

It is my understanding that sand is not used in sandpaper

Materials used for the abrading particles are:
    flint: no longer commonly used
    garnet: commonly used in woodworking
    emery: commonly used to abrade or polish metal
    aluminium oxide: The most common in widest variety of grits, lowest unit cost; can be used on metal (i.e. body shops) or wood
    silicon carbide: available in very coarse grits all the way through to microgrits, common in wet applications
    alumina-zirconia: (an aluminium oxide–zirconium oxide alloy), used for machine grinding applications
    Chromium(III) oxide: used in extremely fine micron grit (micrometre level) papers
    ceramic aluminum oxide: used in high pressure applications, used in both coated abrasives, as well as in bonded abrasives
  • I personally prefer sarcasm as my abrasive of choice.
  • haha!
    DanBergerI personally prefer sarcasm as my abrasive of choice.
  • KlozhaldThe downside is stuffing a hull and doing a face plant in the very materal from which they make 40 grit sandpaper.

mn3It is my understanding that sand is not used in sandpaper.

Materials used for the abrading particles are:
    flint: no longer commonly used
    garnet: commonly used in woodworking
    emery: commonly used to abrade or polish metal
    aluminium oxide: The most common in widest variety of grits, lowest unit cost; can be used on metal (i.e. body shops) or wood
    silicon carbide: available in very coarse grits all the way through to microgrits, common in wet applications
    alumina-zirconia: (an aluminium oxide–zirconium oxide alloy), used for machine grinding applications
    Chromium(III) oxide: used in extremely fine micron grit (micrometre level) papers
    ceramic aluminum oxide: used in high pressure applications, used in both coated abrasives, as well as in bonded abrasives

It was a joke, but thanks for the information. :/

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • QuoteIt is my understanding that sand is not used in sandpaper

Next, you tell us that the toiler paper is not actually made from toilets?
    icon_lol

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • So girl scout cookies are not made from....oh never mind

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.