Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What happens if battens are removed to furl a jib... performance and if not a good idea... what?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Had a sailmaker recommend a leach line to combat leach flutter. I didn't bite, but sounds interesting - at least for rec sailing.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • I agree with Andrew, about sail condition being a factor, as for the leach line. I chose not to do that either, as it creates a cup which does not flow smoothly.
  • QuoteHad a sailmaker recommend a leach line to combat leach flutter. I didn't bite, but sounds interesting - at least for rec sailing.

That is pretty much a last ditch effort to use a spent sail (IMHO)

when sheeting a leach line, you are increasing the shape of the sail and inhibiting its ability to flatten. .. ok for downwind, terrible for upwind.
  • MN3 when sheeting a leach line, you are increasing the shape of the sail and inhibiting its ability to flatten. .. ok for downwind, terrible for upwind.

Exactly the reason I didn't go for it. Probably OK for casual rec sailing, but not if you're going to race.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • without a doubt, racers need new sails to be truly competitive.
    around here almost all the regular sailors used to get their sails from Jill and Robbi Daniels. He sold used (or new) sails from pro sailors who used them in a race or 2 and then wanted fresh (tight) sails.

I just purchased my first ever new sail and the first dozen or so sails i had a HUGE edge over my regular fleet and i could and can tell after the first time used in 20+ wind.. they defiantly stretched a little and lost their "edge"

rehmbo
    MN3 when sheeting a leach line, you are increasing the shape of the sail and inhibiting its ability to flatten. .. ok for downwind, terrible for upwind.

Exactly the reason I didn't go for it. Probably OK for casual rec sailing, but not if you're going to race.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.