Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Star Ships - Early Prindle Film by Dom Mastrippolito  Bottom

• You've got to check this out. Film made in 1980 featuring Prindle 16's acting out a Star Wars like drama with a kidnapped princess (hot) and a full on surf battle between groups of beachcats.

Spoiler alert, the guy with the USA Flag t-shirt and stars and stripes sails gets the girl, sort of.

Awesome stuff.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6O2jTN5vgM

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • they put a lot of time and effort into it.
    it was full production (low budget) but obviously written, directed, lots of camera locations and angles, fully edited...

I wonder if it was film students (who loved to sail) doing an assignment or what
  • I agree, there was some budget there, underwater and helicopter shots and even a script. I looked up the name at the end of the film "A Film By Domenic NIcholas Mastrippolito JR" in IMDB and found this.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1330878/

His filmography covers the correct years for this film.

There is also a "A Film By Domenic Mastrippolito III so the film business must have stayed in the family. Would love to get a better copy of this. The one on Youtube was created by projecting a 16mm onto a screen (or bedsheet) and filming that with a vhs video recorder and transfering the vhs to digital.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • DamonLinkousThe one on Youtube was created by projecting a 16mm onto a screen (or bedsheet) and filming that with a vhs video recorder and transfering the vhs to digital.

I used A/V equipment from Phoenix College. It was the best I could get hold of at the time (1980). I recently found the VHS copy, after Jared asked, in a box with my wedding video from '87. Dusty.

MN3I wonder if it was film students (who loved to sail) doing an assignment or what

Dom Mastrippolito was a film student at the time. Jimmy Pate was a local Prindle and Hobie champion. His girlfriend, a local Hobie legend herself, played the Princess and earned a photo shoot with one of the overseas Playboy mags because of the film. I ran into them at the Waikiki Prindle shop in the summer of 1980. They told me about the film and shipped a copy to me in AZ a month later to show at our Prindle Fleet 14 meeting. Realy good people.

Edited by klozhald on Feb 14, 2013 - 03:10 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Reminded me of when i went to art school and had a film project but with sooo many more resources put into it.

that is what confused me, it had the looseness of a student project that didn't have to create a financial return, but the time and resources of something professional.

klozhald
    DamonLinkousThe one on Youtube was created by projecting a 16mm onto a screen (or bedsheet) and filming that with a vhs video recorder and transfering the vhs to digital.

I used A/V equipment from Phoenix College. It was the best I could get hold of at the time (1980). I recently found the VHS copy, after Jared asked, in a box with my wedding video from '87. Dusty.

MN3I wonder if it was film students (who loved to sail) doing an assignment or what

Dom Mastrippolito was a film student at the time. Jimmy Pate was a local Prindle and Hobie champion. His girlfriend, a local Hobie legend herself, played the Princess and earned a photo shoot with one of the overseas Playboy mags because of the film. I ran into them at the Waikiki Prindle shop in the summer of 1980. They told me about the film and shipped a copy to me in AZ a month later to show at our Prindle Fleet 14 meeting. Realy good people.Edited by klozhald on Feb 14, 2013 - 03:10 PM.
  • MN3it had the looseness of a student project that didn't have to create a financial return, but the time and resources of something professional.

For the love of making a fun sailing movie.
    And they were single-handing in Paradise!
    Did you notice that some of the rigs were reefed in the battle sequences?
    Filming reefed single-handed 16 footers in that blow could not have been easy- but I bet it was fun!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • "Best beachcat movie of the century!"...coastrat press

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • When I lived in Hawaii I had the privlege of Sailing with JIm Pate (The villian in the film). We raced together on a P-16 at a regatta on Maui. As I recall he was a video photographer for Grand Prix style race cars. I also purchased a P-19 that he had done the color scheme for, it was for a Budweiser beer ad. I purchased the boat after the ad was finished. That may have something to do with the professional aspect of the film. All of them in the film were excellent sailors and racers. I raced against some of them in Prindle Nationals in Jolla California. I still recall one trick that Jim Pate taught me when we flipped during a race. After we flipped he told me to help him turtle the boat, yes turtle the boat. The point was, when done properly and quickly after righting the boat you were still facing the direction you heading and were able to continue in the proper direction. To right the boat in a normal fashion you have to turn the boat into the wind and after righting the boat you will either have to tack or gybe after making way again to regain proper direction to the mark, losing time and distance. Of course the water is plenty deep enough there to perform this manuver. As I recall they all had a true love for sailing and especially for having fun while doing it.
  • I just watched this over on the Prindle Facebook page ad loved if I came over here to share it'd wasn't already here. There was some pretty epic coordinated sailing going on here.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • HULLFLYERAfter we flipped he told me to help him turtle the boat, yes turtle the boat. The point was, when done properly and quickly after righting the boat you were still facing the direction you heading and were able to continue in the proper direction. To right the boat in a normal fashion you have to turn the boat into the wind and after righting the boat you will either have to tack or gybe after making way again to regain proper direction to the mark, losing time and distance.

This is an ocean sailing maneuver that minimizes the interference of the wind and waves changing the orientation of the boat while you are trying to right it. It only really helps if you capsize to leeward. If you pearl a hull and pitchpole, you could end up in any orientation, so to force the turtle could simply be adding more work.
    It provides no benefit on inland waters.

Jimmy Pate was a great cat sailor. I'm betting you had a good time racing with him.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I was just reminded of this cool film. Never knew for sure what the actual Title Was?

Is it Star Ships?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • I think that's right. This has a "professional on vacation" vibe to it. Outstanding sailing and H2O camera work.

Probably this guy. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1330878/ Lives in Malibu now.

Shot in my humble back yard,..

--
    Prindle 18
    --
  • That was pretty cool and the girl was definitely HOT for sure!!! She could raise my, uhhh, mast anytime, (uh yeah, that's the ticket), you know, so we could go for a sail!!! icon_biggrin . Funny ending also.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • That was so epic! Especially after a half bottle of wine!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.