Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Source for aluminum sail box?  Bottom

• Anyone know where to buy an aluminum sail box? I see them on trailers, but cannot find them online. I am not interested in PVC or fiberglass, wood, etc. Here's an example of the style I'm interested in:
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/data/1/08FA8A25-855C-4128-B6B0-B9EE28052EB1.jpeg

Edited by ropewalker on Mar 27, 2018 - 01:27 AM.

--
    Brett
    2012 Goodall C2 with 2014 Hulls (warranty)
    1992 Hobie 18 w/ SX Wings (Sold)
    Tucson, AZ
    --
  • Those are custom made. No market place for production runs. A local metal fabricator could make them for you. I would Just take the picture around and see who will work with you on what you want. I would say min. $500 ea.

--
    David
    Nacra 5.5SL
    Nacra 5.2 (sold)
    San Diego, CA
    --
  • Red gear racing sells an assortment of them. I have one of their big ones and it holds everything I could possibly want to take. Robbie said he even slept in one on a trip once! Bad side is they are expensive, $1500 a few years ago.

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • Those exact boxes are lunch boxes from NCSUTrey. They are >$2k each. I can send you his contact information if you are interested. Shipping is going to be the big hassle.

I looked at making one myself a few years ago and the diamond plate aluminum was going to run an easy $400 alone.
  • Quote Robbie said he even slept in one on a trip once!

haha!, yea but he is pretty small. He could sleep in the backseat of a car and be ok :)

PS - new fiberglass ones are over $ 1000 ... so 1500 for alum seems right
  • ropewalkerAnyone know where to buy an aluminum sail box? I see them on trailers, but cannot find them online. I am not interested in PVC or fiberglass, wood, etc. Here's an example of the style I'm interested in:
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/data/1/08FA8A25-855C-4128-B6B0-B9EE28052EB1.jpegEdited by ropewalker on Mar 27, 2018 - 01:27 AM.

Hey Brett,

There is a metal fabricator over here that is also a sailor and may get what you're trying to do... And you could pick it up when you "Zonies" come over and do some races this summer...

Send me a PM with some dimensions and I'll see what he can do...

John

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Yes, Jill at RedGear sells them. The one that's big enough for a spin pole is about $1800.

Edited by ropewalker on Mar 27, 2018 - 04:36 PM.

--
    Brett
    2012 Goodall C2 with 2014 Hulls (warranty)
    1992 Hobie 18 w/ SX Wings (Sold)
    Tucson, AZ
    --
  • I built my own Aluminum gear/sail box in '85 and still use it today. icon_cool

It holds two sets of sails, my rudder assemble and a small tool box.

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • QuotePS - new fiberglass ones are over $ 1000 ... so 1500 for alum seems right

[/quote]

I'm in the wrong business, $1000 for fiberglass where can I get 10 gallons of resin cheap in the SF Bay area?

Edited by Corkmaster_1 on Mar 27, 2018 - 11:43 PM.
  • I have two. One fiberglass that I picked up with my Supercat as part of the deal, and it was all priced right, so I felt it was free with the boat and trailer.
    I had an aluminum one built about 5 years ago, and I bought the aluminum and brought it to a local welder. I put $750 into it with aluminum, welding costs and hardware.
    If I were to market it, I wouldn’t sell it for less than $1300, and that is at 2013 costs.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • Corkmaster_1
    I'm in the wrong business, $1000 for fiberglass where can I get 10 gallons of resin cheap in the SF Bay area?

Try building one first before you assume $1k is out of line. Material cost is only a fraction of the overall cost. There is a lot of labor that goes into not only making the actual parts (kitting the material, layup, trimming, accessorizing) but also the tooling that is needed to make and finish the boxes.

If you're making low quality boxes in your garage for you and your buddies, yea, $1k might be a little steep. But if you're looking at a high-quality part from a business that actually needs to turn a profit, I'd say $1k is pretty reasonable.

sm
  • Dogboy
    Corkmaster_1

Try building one first before you assume $1k is out of line. Material cost is only a fraction of the overall cost. There is a lot of labor that goes into not only making the actual parts (kitting the material, layup, trimming, accessorizing) but also the tooling that is needed to make and finish the boxes.

If you're making low quality boxes in your garage for you and your buddies, yea, $1k might be a little steep. But if you're looking at a high-quality part from a business that actually needs to turn a profit, I'd say $1k is pretty reasonable.

sm

Actually I have a set of commercial quality lid and box molds. I just need to find a wholesale source for the resin and gel coat in my area. Tap Plastic is a good source for fiberglass mat or cloth but to high priced for resin and gel coat. No I do not want to go into business selling these.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.