Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

strange cat on Gulfport CL  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• 18ft cat w/ trailer for sale (sail) The guy is moving and cant take it Asking 500 obo Sorry I didnt grab a link I'll go back and get it in the am if I think about it. Reminded me of a Mystere 4.3 just bigger

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --
  • http://gulfport.craigslist.org/boa/3566103155.html

Those hulls have an awesome shape for a cat of that age
  • It looks a lot like the Dart 18. A related Cat, the earlier Spark 15 had those gizmos for quick disconnect of the beams, you could do it without tools.
    It isn't really a good deal, other than selling the trailer for $400.
    The ad says, "NEEDS Sails, Tramp, and Rudders". You could probably buy a complete boat for what it would cost you to get those major parts, along with all the lines & other bits you will need.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • defiantly a dart
    dart rudder assembly run about $2000 each if i recall correctly.
    designed
  • that thing is gorgeous icon_eek ...i might have to check it out...moving day special...

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • its located right off the woolmarket exit on i-10. Pretty sure i saw it a few weeks ago.

Edited by matt922 on Jan 28, 2013 - 06:55 PM.
  • Go get it Bill, if I lived in that neck of the woods, it would be in my back yard already..... yes
  • got to admit it that i love darts
    in heavy air they are great
    went out on a 18 as ALL the other cats were coming back to shore because of impending strorm clouds.. was probably in gusts 30-40 mph

went on a dart 20 (Stampede) on a day when 30's were expected... mid 40's were a surprise. boat did well (battens didnt)
  • its been there for 6 or 7 years.. they guy was a junk parts/boat dealer running the operation out of his yard... (I live somewhat near him and used to drive by the place almost daily).. neighbors, county, etc told him to clean the place up, so he's been doing that for a while... neat boat, didn't have rigging when I looked at it... no sails, hulls have a little delam. if you're looking for a project, that'd be an interesting one.. I bet he'd let it go cheaper than even $500.. A few years ago there was a nice yellow nacra 5.x on the classified here right down the road from this guy... and one of his neighbors has 2 hobie 16s stashed away under some oak trees. ( some of us can smell out cats from a distance, you know?) cheers, - Rob.

bird's eye view...creepy, but easy w/technology:
    http://maps.google.com/ma…a=mift&mrsp=1&sz=19&z=18

Edited by robpatt on Jan 29, 2013 - 08:33 AM.
  • MN3defiantly a dart
    dart rudder assembly run about $2000 each if i recall correctly.
    designed

That's definitely a Dart 18, but MN3 is right, stay away from it .
    Browsed the English Dart sites, have look at this.;
    http://www.windsport.co.u…arent_id=344&img_id=1033
    That's 825,00 USD each ! without sales-tax and shipping, not to mention
    the tillerbar and stick.
    Next is the tramp, you could have it made locally, but it is in no way
    like stock Nacra or Hobie tramps, so difficult to order.
    http://www.windsport.co.u…parent_id=704&img_id=727
    That's another 428,00 USD adding to the cost.
    Won't start on sails...
    I understood that Dart-parts are hard to get in the US, so you might be tempted
    to fiddle around with blocks, downhaul and so many other things.
    The Dart 18 international class is stupidly eager to keep the cat a
    one-design class.
    My friend had a DSQ because there was a small wind-vane in
    his bridle.
    So, being in the US, you probably end up with a non-classlegal Dart 18.
    Which is not a good selling-point when you want to get rid of it or even enter
    an occasional race.
    Do not want to discourage you from this project, but these are the facts.

Regards, André

Edited by catmodding on Jan 29, 2013 - 08:19 PM.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • i'm only interested if:
    1. 100$ or under... i'm not the one with the county on my back.
    2. i can engineer my hobie rudders on it.

other wise i was going to get a new tramp for the blueribbon, so that's a wash... i would have some sails made(not worried about class legal, no one else to race against anywho). i can make standing rigging, especially if there is some old set to copy....BUT, and i mean a big butt(and i cannot lie), that means selling a damn fine working, tried and tested, tough as nails, reliable p16 that is ready to sail at any given moment...the old "bird in hand" thing...it's friggin' 78 degrees here now and looks like an early spring on the way...SOOO...do i feel lucky?

what would honest hal of honest hal's quality discount pre-owned beachcats do?...tune in next week to find out!!!

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • QuoteThat's definitely a Dart 18, but MN3 is right, stay away from it .

I didn't say stay away from it... i love darts and that is probably a fair price if you want a project boat.

tramps are made and available in the US, i would assume most darts in the US are in decline, and spares may be found.

adding to the "parts available" is most around here don't have paperwork, making it much harder to sell and register, etc. I knew of a guy who chopped up and threw out his when he couldn't get paperwork to sell it out of state (the state gave him a very hard time about it when he demanded papers to sell it)

I also know (or knew) of a spare set of rudders in town from a dart 20 that isn't around anymore if anyone need$ them.
  • It is for sure a Dart 18. I have a Dart 20 and it is a very versitile boat. It sails great without a jib for singlehanding and powers up for crew with a jib. No boards for the Gulf of Mexico is a plus as well. Most of the parts you would need can be had here. My D20 has a Sunrise tramp, non-class legal recut square top Tornado sails, etc. Windsport.co.uk can easily get you any unique parts for the boat within a week or so and if you have any questions, Brian Phips is very helpful vie Email. As for the rudders, you can easily change to another style/brand such as Hobie because there is great access to the inner hull at the stern. When I got the boat, I thought of changing out the rudders to a Hobie setup, but once I went through the stock rudders and epoxied/faired the blades I felt pretty confident about their design and performance. In addition to all this it is a very easy boat to set up singlhanded. One thing to check for is hull to deck seperation. My boat had some. I used some West System epoxy with filler and fixed it up just fine. Good luck!

Dan

Bradenton, FL
  • I have enuff projects or I would jump on it - just to do Island Hop and Slip to Ship. Dont care about it being class legal for fun races like those!!

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --
  • I've got a nice prindle 18 main in the vicinity of the boat if anyone's taking it on... and some H16 castings, etc w/lexan blades....

Edited by robpatt on Jan 29, 2013 - 09:29 PM.
  • Quoteyou can easily change to another style/brand such as Hobie because there is great access to the inner hull at the stern.

I do not think this would an easy change.
    Darts have an angled transom, and very specific rudder profiles, i doubt any other rudder would work well on this skeg boat, or at least not without a ton of custom modifications

PS Dan, I am pretty certain you have Steve F's Stampede. He has (or had) spare parts (including rudders) if you need them
  • Dart.. Fert... (Change the e to a A) Got lots of bucks.. Want to re-do a old boat for the fun??of it Go for it.. Even with those sexie hulls.. If it was a rocket there would still be lots of them still arround.. Mr Bill ?? Trade the PBR Starship for lots of work and a boat whos performance is not a sure thing AND with little Hottie Appeal??? To say nothing about a kegerator mount?? Rather be drinken warm beer on a cold day. BTW.. Send some of the 70's out to calif.. Sales are slow cuz we been in the 50s. Hotties running around with those UGG fir lined boots and down stuffed bras (Actually the bras are rather fun). Cant wait till spring.. Got a new H18 project boat and my secont N5.2 to get ready. There is a great bunch of guys that race 18s out here.. Cheers and Happy New Year Chub-ster!! H

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • MN3, yes from what I have been told, that is the Stampede I have. I do have the spare rudders as well. I did PM Steve a while back so If you communicate with him, please let him know. As far as the rudder mods go, I think you could make a wedge shaped spacer for the rudder head to get a different angle so you can get the correct angle for a other than Dart system to attach.

Thanks,
    Dan
  • it's been keeping me up at night...but hal is right, i'd have to change out the kegerator cooling system and co2 lines, not to mention my custom made bikinni snaggers...lots of work. fortunately, he hasn't returned my message...mayby saving me from my moment of weakness. it's like having a good and faithful wife who works hard and loves me but i'm turned on by the disfunctional neighbor/former stripper....i hope she doesn't call! i mean he....

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • Quote I did PM Steve a while back so If you communicate with him, please let him know.

I will send him a text to check his in box

rudders/transoms - yes i am sure a "work around is possible"...

but (imho) changing rudders (brand / shape, chord, depth, width, length, leading edge, trailing edge, etc) can have dramatic effects on the catamaran and may have some extreme results at different wind ranges (i.e cavitate in 20+, or just plain fail in 30+).

If you are a master of glass / fairing, and wish to experiment with different brands, and rudder shapes ... go for it, but if you are not, trying different rudders can be a nightmare, and in the end ... not work

These rudders are proven to work in about ALL wind conditions (except light). these boats were designed for very high winds in the N.Sea, and worked very well in the extreme winds of S.African waters too.. so much they got the molds and made them down there...

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.