Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Portless hull P16's indicate what other design changes?  Bottom

• I am wondering if anyone can tell me what differences there are in Prindle 16's that have the hull ports and those without. I assume the no port is an older design?

I am looking into buying a boat from photos only (so far) but I see that it is without ports. I am replacing my damaged P16 with ports. Will there be any equipment differences? (I have nearly the entire boat for parts now.)

Any other reasons I should be concerned? Thanks in advance!
  • The boat was made in the mid to late 70's, so at minimum the boat is 33 years old.
  • HULLFLYERThe boat was made in the mid to late 70's, so at minimum the boat is 33 years old.

Exactly, I have a 1980 P16 which is the first year with ports.
    I don't think there's any design updates outside the ports but I could be wrong

J

Edited by jchrist on Jan 02, 2013 - 06:20 AM.

--
    Jared - Seattle,WA
    1980 Prindle 16
    --
  • BTW, I'm assuming you are the "Molly & Me" Prindle 16 video poster on Youtube by the look of your avatar.
    What happened to you P16? You sail the shit out of her, love your vids!

--
    Jared - Seattle,WA
    1980 Prindle 16
    --
  • I probably answered this on your Facebook post in on the Prindle Facebook page but the forestay could be different. wire luff instead of zippered and the old ones may not have a hinged mast step. They were really old school back then I guess you just had to heft it up without a hinge.

I've got a 76 that is about the same and in fairly good shape. it does some soft spots on the inner hulls just in front of the beams on both sides.

Edited by Quarath on Jan 02, 2013 - 03:59 PM.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • jchristBTW, I'm assuming you are the "Molly & Me" Prindle 16 video poster on Youtube by the look of your avatar.
    What happened to your P16? You sail the shit out of her, love your vids!

Yes, that's us! Wow! Thanks for noticing!

Actually, after 10 or 12 years of keeping my boat (different ones over the the years) on the beach year-round here, the town bought the little spit of land there and the Harbor Master (with God-complex) tells me I must move it over the winters, or he'd "cut it up and haul it to the dump." So I did move it, but the boat got smashed up in a bad storm, just following Sandy. Mast broke and then boat apparently tumbled till it cracked both crossbeams. I just spent the day cutting up the aluminum and moving the hulls and all remaining gear- likely I will part out what I can to help pay for the next boat as, so far, the masts I have found cost more (once shipped) than this boat cost me about 4 years ago!

But I am very excited you saw my vids! I just told Molly and she's happy too! We didn't think anyone but a few friends ever saw them. Thanks!

Edited by octojofo on Jan 02, 2013 - 08:44 PM.
  • QuoteI probably answered this on your Facebook post in on the Prindle Facebook page but the forestay could be different.

That was me. And unfortunately I am probably going to have to pass on that boat, since it, like the parts I would need to fix mine, are just prohibitively expensive to get across the country, even if I drive there and tow it back myself! icon_frown

Thanks for your help though. Much appreciated.
  • Here's one of my favorite videos of Octojofo's-
    http://www.youtube.com/wa…fbA7qXRt0&feature=relmfu

Sorry to hear about your boat! That's horrible... icon_frown

I just bought my boat out of San Diego and I live in Seattle. A pristine 1980 P16 for $900 which I then paid a guy off Craigslist rideshare $300 to haul it to me since he was coming this way already. It seems the best deals are in Socal or Florida since that's where all the beachcats were sold back in the 80's. You are in the same boat distance wise, just the other side of the country. Just like me, I could only imagine there's a limited number of beach cats for sale around your parts. That leads to some crazy used prices around here. Good luck with the hunt! icon_biggrin

octojofo
    jchristBTW, I'm assuming you are the "Molly & Me" Prindle 16 video poster on Youtube by the look of your avatar.
    What happened to your P16? You sail the shit out of her, love your vids!

Yes, that's us! Wow! Thanks for noticing!

Actually, after 10 or 12 years of keeping my boat (different ones over the the years) on the beach year-round here, the town bought the little spit of land there and the Harbor Master (with God-complex) tells me I must move it over the winters, or he'd "cut it up and haul it to the dump." So I did move it, but the boat got smashed up in a bad storm, just following Sandy. Mast broke and then boat apparently tumbled till it cracked both crossbeams. I just spent the day cutting up the aluminum and moving the hulls and all remaining gear- likely I will part out what I can to help pay for the next boat as, so far, the masts I have found cost more (once shipped) than this boat cost me about 4 years ago!

But I am very excited you saw my vids! I just told Molly and she's happy too! We didn't think anyone but a few friends ever saw them. Thanks!Edited by octojofo on Jan 02, 2013 - 08:44 PM.

Edited by jchrist on Jan 03, 2013 - 10:50 AM.

--
    Jared - Seattle,WA
    1980 Prindle 16
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.