Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sail Selections  Bottom

• I was looking through different websites for new sails. Not that I will be getting one soon, but the justification process has to start at some point. icon_wink

I noticed that some are made "heavy duty". What is the purpose of this? For example, the regular competition sanctioned sail for my boat is a 3.9oz. The heavy duty is 6oz. What factors would drive someone to choose one over the other?

Also, do you have any recommendations on a sail maker?

Thanks,
    Ted

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • heavy duty typically:
    will keep it's shape longer
    will last longer
    resist tearing and abrasion better

Cons:
    weigh more (not a big issue unless you're a pro
    cost more
  • I would guess that racers would not buy the heavy duty. nor anyone on a budget due to cost (though value might show a different decision).

Also, what comes stock on the boats? I would expect the cheaper, race legal version.

Does anyone purchase these heavy duty sails? Do they have any popularity? How do you tell the type of sail cloth if you are buying used?

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • It all depends on needs & wallet $ize
    many people will sail a sail until it has been repaired 100x's and is completely blownout & shredded, others want to be at the top of the race results and will purchase new sails every few years..

serious / pro racers typically use the lightest, strongest. highest tech, most expensive products on the markets (depending on fleet rules).

some fleet's (i.e the farrier 28s) restrict new sails to 1 set, every 2 years, to avoid an advantage to rich people who can drop 20k on sails every year.

QuoteDoes anyone purchase these heavy duty sails? Do they have any popularity?

yes - IF i was ordering dacron jibs, i would use 5oz (i am using FLEX Technora - 11)

Quote How do you tell the type of sail cloth if you are buying used?

3oz is pretty thin ALMOST translucent.. .5oz is not, almost levis (denem) thickness
  • I'd consider the heavier sailcloth for any combination of the following reasons:

Heavy skipper/crew sailing in moderate to heavy breezes regularly.
    Plan to keep the boat and these new sails for many seasons.
    You're value conscious over price sensitive.
    Durability, particularly if you're less than meticulous in how you handle and store your sails.

My first recommendation on lofts is to use one that regularly build sails specifically designed for catamarans. If you've got a local loft with such experience, that'd be the best possible source. I've had great results with Elliot Pattison and Glaser Sails, both who have serious catsailing cred. Smyth, Arends/Racer X, Calvert also have great reputations. Chip Buck at Whirlwind Sails has also treated me well, sometimes for less money than the bigger name lofts. I'm sure there are other worthy lofts, hopefully we can hear from more catsailors.

If you choose the heavier cloth, get a price on pentex as well, it might not be that much more.

Dave

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.