Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Where to go in Mexico or Caribbean for a good cat sail.  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I spent one New Years in Playa Del Carman and had the same red flag experience. Spent a week and never had a chance to sail. Was a nice trip, just no sailing.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • We never worry about red flag in La Paz. If it's too windy (a 3 day northerly) for cat sailing, it's perfect for landsailing along a 10 mile beach. And of course we have windsurfing. La Paz as opposed to Cabo san Lucas 2 hours away is not upscale, but a working persons city with a world class boardwalk. Pete
  • Scott, Did you find rentals in Playa? I have a place to stay there if I choose but want to make sure a cat is available. Pete

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Pete, are there cat rentals in La Paz? Pete

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • I have two P-16's & a H-14 turbo on the beach, center of town as well as two 40 mph landsailors always in car ready for 1/2 hour drive to Mogote beach (a beam reach). The Mexican owned cats on beach are much like many Fl or Ca. cats, missing parts, torn tramps, lying unused at waters edge. Back bay is always flat water as is harbor area. If you keep your speed to 8 knots, dolphins will tag along in late afternoon. Whale sharks breed & are observed daily about two miles from city center. My favorite daily treck is to Lilly's panderea for ratones (little rats), egg,milk, sugar batter baked in a thin crust, then a walk across street for 3 small fillets of Pierna (boneless), one for the cat, two for me. The Club Crusaros at Marina de la Paz is the gringo center of town where all the cruisers gather at 9:30 for coffee & chatting, book & vidio exchange, notices for travelers heading further south. La Paz is the first major stop for the Baja Haha crowd of 150 boats that sail down from San Diego every Nov. and every year there are more & more trimarans anchored in the harbor. My favorite market is Walmart because they take my Discover card which charges no int. transaction fees, although Mega is a better store with 6 screen cinama. For $6 we see first class american movies in a lounge sofa with small table in wide low lighted aisles and waiters to take your pop corn order throughout the movie. There are no vendors on the beach as air is maybe 7 degrees cooler than Cabo. La Ventana is 45 minutes south where 100 windsurfers & kite boarders ply the bay daily & is site of mega bucks contest annually. La Paz is serviced by Alaska from L.A. & Volero from TJ. Many fly into Los Cabo then take 2 hour bus trip to La Paz. People always wish me "be safe" going to Mexico, but we're kind of happy that the fearsome group don't come as it's not crowded & we appreciate the wonderful manners & hospitality of the Mexican people. Pete
  • I didn't look for rentals in Playa del carman. We were at a resort with boats on the beach they just didn't let us use them.

I have heard other people say good things about La Paz. Never been there.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Quote La Paz is the first major stop for the Baja Haha

A good friend took a 2 year LOA & made that stop a few years ago, casting off from Vancouver. He then turned right & went to Hawaii, 32 days at sea in his lead sled. That was the long leg, after that he said there were mostly islands every 2-3 days all the way over to Oz.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.