Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Any preowned F16s available?  Bottom

• I'm curious if there are any used F16s for sale nowadays? I'm thinking of moving up from my Hobie 16 and just want to know if there are any F16s available in my price range.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • hahah...depends what your price range is Zach, there is a F16 for sale here in the classifieds, Tyler H & his partner Joseph B have one for only $20 000

http://www.thebeachcats.c…2424-2012-nacra-f16.html
  • Hobie 16s rock... a move 'up' is always relative! ha ha....

$20K would get a small fleet (4-ish) of squared away Hobie 16s!
  • There is a Blade F16 listed for $10K. Doubt you'll find anything cheaper. Moving to a high performance spin boat is expensive, especially when you're looking at knot/dollar value (hard to beat a H16 on a screaming reach), but IMO they are much more enjoyable to sail, plus you can single hand the F16. Good luck on the searching!
  • Easier and cheaper to get into the F17 (for solo sailing) or even an F18 (if you have consistant crew). The F16 is still too new to be reasonably priced. Get yourself a nice 18 footer, and it will be plenty of boat for you. After sailing the H16 a 17 or 18 foot boat that doesn't want to pitchpole all the time would be easy for you.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I have an F18HT for sale in the classifieds, under $6K. Lightweight(280 lbs) compared to other F18s. I solo the boat a lot, up until maybe 12 kts of breeze, at which point I'm looking for crew. I can right it solo as well(I'm 160 lbs). All the performance and flexiblility of an F16, for less money. The F16s are still too new to have come down in price much yet, and there just aren't a lot of them out there. Check it out!

Dave
    Spokane, WA

http://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/catamarans/p11684-bimare-javelin-f18ht.html

Edited by davefarmer on Dec 28, 2012 - 09:16 AM.
  • davefarmerI have an F18HT for sale in the classifieds, under $6K. Lightweight(280 lbs) compared to other F18s.

A guy at the local lake has a Bimare F18HT, possibly the same cat?
    It is a carbon-masted rocket!
    I have not sailed one, but it looked sexy enough to get me to sell my P18-2. icon_cool

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Thanks guys. It sounds like an F16 would be really tough to get on my budget right now. I'm going to keep an eye out for any F16s, F18s, or any other performance cats out there. I'm not in a big hurry and I think I can find something if I keep looking.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • If you have a committed crew, the N20 is hard to beat.

Dollar for dollar, you won't find a faster or easier to sail spinnaker cat. CatHouse is in your area and they usually have at least one used N20 available.

But, the N20 is an animal. Dedicated crew is an absolute prerequisite.
  • Best bet is finding a used Hobie Tiger. Good luck.
  • You could also consider a well built 18 square meter, and carefully add a spin/snuffer set up. A lot of performance for modest money, there are a couple of them on the classified for under $3K, in NC and MS. And avalondaryln in TX has a very nice one for $3.5K, I think. They do have the advantage/disadvantage of the 11' beam.

Dave
  • PurdueZachThanks guys. It sounds like an F16 would be really tough to get on my budget right now. I'm going to keep an eye out for any F16s, F18s, or any other performance cats out there. I'm not in a big hurry and I think I can find something if I keep looking.

This N20 at $5k is cheaper than any F16,F18 or high performance spin boat that I am aware of.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaym…ewItem&item=190778943630

Edited by bacho on Jan 02, 2013 - 06:35 AM.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • http://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/catamarans/p12428-2006-nacra-infusion-f18.html

--
    Doug Klem
    Pensacola , Fl.
    Blade F16
    Prindle 18-2 w/spin
    Prindle 18-2 x 3
    Prindle 19 MX
    --
  • Reality is the main racing is on A-Cat's, H16's, F16's and F18's with a few pockets of N20's and H18's in spots.

It is hard to beat the N20 on price but most of those boats are older and need maintenance Be very careful of the hull to crossbeam connections, and the decks going soft. Any of these boats, except the F16, require skilled crew. The N20 is a beast and may have you on the wire a tiny bit sooner than the others, and is a tad harder to de-power with the older mainsail cut.
  • Hey Zach - Hope all is well. I was seduced by the dark side this past year and picked up an F18. There are deals to be had if you're patient.

Important thing for you is to decide what you want to do with it. If its just faster/better rec sailing, then any of the above mentioned boats would work - some of the unique models (such as an F18HT) will probably be a better $/knot value as there isn't as much demand. However, if you want to race and not do it against a clock, then Sam is right - A-Class, F16, or F18 is pretty much where its at in the midwest.

BTW - you're in Florida now right?, If so, you should take your H16 down to Islamorada for Tradewinds. At least 3 boats from MI are heading down. There are a bunch of H16s registered as well.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • rehmboHey Zach - Hope all is well. I was seduced by the dark side this past year and picked up an F18. There are deals to be had if you're patient.

Important thing for you is to decide what you want to do with it. If its just faster/better rec sailing, then any of the above mentioned boats would work - some of the unique models (such as an F18HT) will probably be a better $/knot value as there isn't as much demand. However, if you want to race and not do it against a clock, then Sam is right - A-Class, F16, or F18 is pretty much where its at in the midwest.

BTW - you're in Florida now right?, If so, you should take your H16 down to Islamorada for Tradewinds. At least 3 boats from MI are heading down. There are a bunch of H16s registered as well.

Thanks Jeff. I'm still in Indiana. I'll be in Florida this summer. Otherwise I would definitely be going to Tradewinds. I've haven't been sailing in months!

For now I'll hold onto my H16 and keep an eye out for something faster. I'd prefer a boat that I can race head to head.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • Hey Zach, there is a P18-2 for sale not too far from IN

http://kansascity.craigsl….org/boa/3499092230.html

Owners name is Jim Crall, he picked that cat up on the East Coast but it's too much boat for him, give him a call if you interested.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.