Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Apostle Island Sailing  Bottom

• Hi,
    I bought a 18' SolCat last summer. This upcoming summer I would like to go sailing on Lake Superior in the Apostle Islands. The plan is to sail from campsite to campsite. Do any of you have suggestions or recommendations? Is it to windy/wavy to sail on Lake Superior?

Knowledge and wisdom would be appreciated.
  • Your post got me interested in the Apostle Islands.
    Looks like a great place to explore, especially the abandoned Lighthouse locations (Long Island, etc.)
    Sheet In!

Edited by klozhald on Dec 13, 2012 - 12:21 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I think it would be awesome to sail anywhere on Superior!

However, environmental/situational awareness is key. The water temp varies between 32 and 55 °F. A good read on how fast hypothermia can set in: http://www.enter.net/~skimmer/coldwater.html Another is "Deep Trouble" a book containing a collection of articles from "Sea Kayaker" magazine.

If I were to go, I would have the proper gear and practice, near shore cold water righting/rescue before I felt confident getting too far away from shore ...
  • The guys from Hobie Fleet 444, a great group of sailors loosely based out of Minneapolis, have been catsailing to the the Apostles for a few years now. Get in touch with them (google), I'm sure they'd be happy to share their experiences with you, and they'll probably invite you to come along on their next venture.

Dave

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.