Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Team FDUB FLYERS!  Bottom

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylKZwJDDsLM

Great video we put together, Awesome conditions with new Smyth sails!

Edited by TylerH on Dec 10, 2012 - 08:02 PM.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • Tear it up icon_smile it is all about having fun and you are having fun. Hey you have a link for Smyth sails?

Will icon_wink

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    Newbie but catching on fast.
    NACRA 17
    --
  • No, but i do have all his contact info.

Smyth Sails
    Phone 850 243 9463
    Cell 850 499 6490
    Email: SmythSails@cox.net

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • Thank you for info, also I noticed you have your dagger boards marked? I have been needing to do this, what did you use?

Thanks

WIll icon_razz

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    NACRA 17
    --
  • Originally, They were black sharpie marks every 5 inches, Then our boards got torn up pretty bad so we decided to redo the lines and epoxy over them and fare them down so now they are a permanent part of the board.

Edited by TylerH on Dec 11, 2012 - 01:15 PM.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • 27fountainHey you have a link for Smyth sails?

He no longer supports a web presence.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • klozhald
    27fountainHey you have a link for Smyth sails?

He no longer supports a web presence.

Thanks for heads up, the number provided by (Tyler) above answered their phone on the second ring (that's good enough for me icon_biggrin ), spoke with "Randy" and was very pleased with "pre-customer service" I have narrowed this search down to three sail makers. Once I make my decision I will post icon_razz

BTW Tyler, what camera?? A go Pro??? icon_cool Let me know if you make it to Clearwater again, We have the Machoman coming up??

Will

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    NACRA 17
    --
  • Yeah, it's a gopro.

I'll be in Clearwater in January for the Youth worlds qualifiers on the F16.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • Oh Yea,

I didn't even realize that was here?? icon_confused ISAF Youth World Championship Qualifier: January 19-21, Clearwater Sailing Center (F16)

Awsome, I live 4 miles down Gulf Blvd from Sailing center (member), If you need some help/let me know.

Will icon_cool

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    NACRA 17
    --
  • Great video! Interesting choice on the Smyth sails, are the stock Performance Sails not fast enough? The choice is interesting to me as I know Smyth is a great sail builder, has great service etc. and understands these boats better than all but a few in the industry, but he isn't racing a F16?

I'm asking the hard questions as I'll be sail shopping in a few months for the F18.

Edited by samc99us on Dec 13, 2012 - 10:24 AM.
  • samc99us...understands these boats better than all but a few in the industry, but he isn't racing a F16?

Sam, don't discount his expertise because he "sails" a different F cat. Randy Smyth has 55 National, Continental and World Championship wins, sailing Tornados, Prindles, Hobies and F cats. He is an Olympic Silver Medalist (twice) and helped design the cat that won the America's Cup. He taught Dennis Conner to race cats.
    He has been a winning catamaran sailmaker for over three decades.
    He knows cat design, and how to cut a fast sail.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • samc99usGreat video! Interesting choice on the Smyth sails, are the stock Performance Sails not fast enough? The choice is interesting to me as I know Smyth is a great sail builder, has great service etc. and understands these boats better than all but a few in the industry, but he isn't racing a F16?

I'm asking the hard questions as I'll be sail shopping in a few months for the F18.Edited by samc99us on Dec 13, 2012 - 10:24 AM.

The Nacra f16 sail cut is trash in general...
    They inverted in about 15 knots of breeze with downhaul/outhaul.

The smyth sails keep their power no matter what, We've sailed in about 25 knots and they get flat as a board but do not invert.

This is his first F16 set he made(I believe), He raced our boat at nationals, The sail cut was not that great and he took it back to the loft and re cut it and now it's amazing.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • Sam, which F18 are you getting sails for? I see sails in my future too.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • klozhald
    samc99us...understands these boats better than all but a few in the industry, but he isn't racing a F16?

Sam, don't discount his expertise because he "sails" a different F cat. Randy Smyth has 55 National, Continental and World Championship wins, sailing Tornados, Prindles, Hobies and F cats. He is an Olympic Silver Medalist (twice) and helped design the cat that won the America's Cup. He taught Dennis Conner to race cats.
    He has been a winning catamaran sailmaker for over three decades.
    He knows cat design, and how to cut a fast sail.

Randy is a professional sailor and a great guy. I've had the privilege of attending several of his racing seminars. That doesn't mean he is perfect, Tyler proved my point...Randy didn't get it right the first time out of the gate either. But it sounds like he is building fast F boat sails and that is great news for U.S sailors!

Tyler, I wonder if switching the upper battens to carbon helps with the inversion on the stock sails? I'm just surprised Performance would ship such a poor cut.

Ron, I'll be picking up new sails for the Infusion before Nationals. The sails I have are virtually all brand new but they are an 08' Performance sail cut. I feel a lack of power in the low end but I haven't played with the rig yet either, and I'm used to the more powerful N20 sail plan. I'll be making a decision after seeing what is fast in the fleet this spring.
  • samc99usTyler, I wonder if switching the upper battens to carbon helps with the inversion on the stock sails? I'm just surprised Performance would ship such a poor cut.

We did that to start with and we were not getting the power we wanted.
    Randy even looked at it and we still couldn't even get it to work properly.

We talked with Peter Vink a bit and he said they will not be coming out with a new cut anytime soon...

Whatever, good practice set I guess.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • How is that sweet pair of rudders working?

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Bach,
    They took our helm away...Very good.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.