Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club and Hurricane Sandy Slug it out  Bottom

• Hi All from SHBCC, Atlantic Highlands, NJ.
    We took a direct hit from Sandy and she damaged many of our buildings and destroyed much of our infrastructure. The beach is remarkably level and clean except for some timber and larger debrie that remained as the water left us and returned to the bay. Vic Simon, our Commadore set up an emergency work parties on short notice this past weekend that was largely attended by our membership. Many of those working still had their own personal crisis at home. There is a 6 to 6 curfew remaining in effect in Atlantic Highlands while power and basics of daily living remain absent. It does not appear that power will return any time soon. Fuel for generators and vehicles remains locked down in a alternating availablity system set up by our Governor. We had about six cats that their owners had anchored down and left on the beach go for unauthorized sails about the local marshes, streets and neighborhoods. I suspect there will be as many replacement cats on the beach next year to replace those damaged or lost. Vic will certainly have his leadership and management skills tested in the coming months as we rebuild. You can find pictures on our Facebook page under, Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club. Repairs will continue over the coming months as we attempt to get ready to begin our season in April and ultimately the Statue of Liberty Race in July. Small miracles do and did happen. Greg Raybon our Race Chairmen found our race flags spread out over a large area of land as the day proceeded and Donna Gugger found a West Point dressed military jacket in pristine condition on the beach. She had a hunch and chased it down and it turns out it was from a cadet who graduated the Point in 1933 and became a general in the Korean war and was awarded the Silver Star. He has since passed on but West Point found his 98 year old widow living in Virginia and they are cleaning the Jacket and returning it to her. She is very excited. Way to go Donna my dear friend. I am never ceased to be surprised with the community that sail cats. Our thoughts are also with Atlantic Highlands Yacht Club (monohull sailors) with whom we co-sponsor a two day race called the Blue Water Regatta. Local law enforcement have sealed off the harbor from any outsiders at this time so many owners are at a loss for damages to their boats.

Peace and safety,
    See you on the water
    Jenna Meyer
    SHBCC
    Secretary

--
    2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
    www.fleet250.org
    Facebook: Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club
    --
  • Good luck and best wishes to SHBCC. Rebuilding will stress your board of governors and membership, but ultimately things will return to normal, or a new normal. Right now it probably looks like things will never recover, but in a couple years you will be surprised at how little evidence of the storm remains. We went through a similar experience with Hurricane Ike at the Seabrook Sailing Club (Texas).

--
    John Fricker
    Prindle 16
    Seabrook, Texas
    --
  • very sorry for all up there ...
    I graduated in NJ and spent many a great time at LBI

Speedy recovery!
  • Sorry to hear about the loss icon_frown Great that the community is pulling together and solving the problem. Hopefully the boats that went sailing aren't total losses (my old N20 may be among those icon_confused ).

Best of luck getting your homes and everything sorted in a timely manner before winter really sets in.

Edited by samc99us on Nov 06, 2012 - 11:48 AM.
  • Jenna,
    Thank you for the update.
    Our thoughts are with you in this struggle.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Sam,

The boats that went away were a H18, P18 and a bunch of H16's some with trailers attached to them.
    Sandy is afraid of Nacras haha. My F18 Infusion was home in the basement high and dry.

Jenna

samc99usSorry to hear about the loss icon_frown Great that the community is pulling together and solving the problem. Hopefully the boats that went sailing aren't total losses (my old N20 may be among those icon_confused ).

Best of luck getting your homes and everything sorted in a timely manner before winter really sets in.Edited by samc99us on Nov 06, 2012 - 11:48 AM.

--
    2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
    www.fleet250.org
    --
  • SHBCC. probably the greatest catamaran club in the World! I've seen no better run club. Best wishes John Ready (London) ex-member 96-99
  • John,
    Thank you for your kind words,
    We are a great bunch of misfit toys mostly playing well together. Vic Simon is still Commadore and does a bang up job of keeping all the personalities playing together. I believe we capped out with 140 boats this year and over 246 members. I enjoy working as his secretary and I will soon add the Youth Sailing Program duties that we are working on getting launched. We are also starting a F18 class race for next season. I think the youth sailing program was in the developmental stages when you were here. Hopefully that will begin in 2013 if we can get past Sandy and get the funds worked out. There has been a lot of people spending their freetime at the club trying to get our house back in order. The last of the run away Hobie 16 cats came out of the marsh on its trailer on Saturday with the mast still up. There are a lot of boats with hull damage that will keep the fiberglass folks busy this winter and into the spring. The yurt somehow made it through another storm with minor damage. The new wheel house got moved but didnt get damaged. The clubhouse, OQ and the bathrooms/showers took a heavy hit as did the decking. The gazebo up on the bulkhead area got flattened and this past northeastern storm left alot of debrie on the beach. We have a large amount of sand in storage on the Blackfoot side in storage so we should be able to fix up most of the rough spots come spring. Hope all is well in the UK.

Jenna

( SHBCC. probably the greatest catamaran club in the World! I've seen no better run club. Best wishes John Ready (London) ex-member 96-99 )

Edited by JennaMeyer on Nov 13, 2012 - 10:43 AM.

--
    2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
    www.fleet250.org
    --
  • Jenna thanks for the reports! Glad things are getting sorted out and the local community pulling together to sort everything out.

If you're running an F18 event I'll plan to attend on the Infusion. SHBCC might be the closest F18 group to Annapolis right now!
  • Sam,

I will definately let you know what we are going to do with the F18 folks. It is in its infancy right now. We have enough boats to get it through Hobie as a true race. ( not that I care ) Our club F18 fleet so far is 1- F18 Nacra Infusion (mine) 1-Nacra F18, 2- F18 C2's and 3- Tigers. We have a few F18 boats that I am not sure if they will race or not. We will be a breakaway group from the bi monthly Portsmouth club race program. Send me a email and I will get you linked in with us so you can get onboard when you can. I think it will be nice to sponsor a annual event also. Time will tell. It sure will be nice to getaway from the portsmith scoring system. It isnt always fair to the whole fleet. I think once folks know we are doing this the numbers will grow quickly as the class is really coming into its own.

Jenna
    wave_rider_jenna@yahoo.com

QuoteJenna thanks for the reports! Glad things are getting sorted out and the local community pulling together to sort everything out.

If you're running an F18 event I'll plan to attend on the Infusion. SHBCC might be the closest F18 group to Annapolis right now

--
    2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
    www.fleet250.org
    --
  • Sam,

I will definately let you know what we are going to do with the F18 folks. It is in its infancy right now. We have enough boats to get it through Hobie as a true race. ( not that I care ) Our club F18 fleet so far is 1- F18 Nacra Infusion (mine) 1-Nacra F18, 2- F18 C2's and 3- Tigers. We have a few F18 boats that I am not sure if they will race or not. We will be a breakaway group from the bi monthly Portsmouth club race program. Send me a email and I will get you linked in with us so you can get onboard when you can. I think it will be nice to sponsor a annual event also. Time will tell. It sure will be nice to getaway from the portsmith scoring system. It isnt always fair to the whole fleet. I think once folks know we are doing this the numbers will grow quickly as the class is really coming into its own.

Jenna
    wave_rider_jenna@yahoo.com

QuoteJenna thanks for the reports! Glad things are getting sorted out and the local community pulling together to sort everything out.

If you're running an F18 event I'll plan to attend on the Infusion. SHBCC might be the closest F18 group to Annapolis right now

Edited by JennaMeyer on Nov 13, 2012 - 11:03 AM.

--
    2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
    www.fleet250.org
    --
  • As I am new to sailing (just completed my first season, Miracle 20) and reside on eastern Long Islan, I feel your pain. I hope your town and its residents recover fully and by the time Summer arrives, this will be a distant memory! All the best to you!!
  • NBC news covered the West Point dress uniform jacket yesterday. Here is the link for those that want the rest of the story.

http://m.nbcnewyork.com/nbcnewyork/pm_107633/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=fVYPnosz&rwthr=0

--
    2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
    www.fleet250.org
    --
  • Great story!
    (West Point Cadet Jacket)

Edited by klozhald on Nov 15, 2012 - 11:58 AM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Just an update for you all. The club is mending and it will be many months of rebuilding yet. It still looks like a trainwreck but we are making progress. We actually had our officers meeting this past Wednesday night in the club house. A bit hard getting the place warm with all the leaks and being careful not to go through the floor in one spot. But we are reclaiming our home port. Progess pictures are on our Facebook page under Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club. The General deGarve West Point Jacket has gone viral on the news channels and outlets so I guess that is old news now. But for those who missed it or are off the main land here I attached a link of the this past Wednesday when Donna Gave his widow the jacket in her home in Virginia. way to go Donna my dear friend. Donna found out that there are sailors in their family also so from one sailing family to another well done. Jenna

http://www.fox43tv.com/dpps/news/local/cadet-jacket-found-in-sandy-afermath_5041543

--
    2007 Nacra F18 Infusion
    www.fleet250.org
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.