Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 6.0NA Mast Tang - Repair vs. Replace  Bottom

• I recently purchased a Nacra 6.0NA and noticed that the mast tang for connecting the forestay is slightly deformed and a crack has started appears where the forestay shackle goes. Murrays indicates that the old tang is not longer available and you need to purchase a new tang and re-drill some holes in the mast. The tang looks very similar to the one on a Hobie Tiger. I would rather not remove existing and re-drill into the mast. Two questions:

1. Does anyone know if the Hobie Tiger/F18 mast tang is the same as a Nacra 6.0NA?
    2. Is it possible to repair the existing tang by welding the hole?
    3. Has anyone replaced a mast tang for a Nacra 6.0NA?

I have a photo, but cannot seem to figure out how to upload the photo.

Thanks,
    Devin
  • I think I have a spare, but the cheap and easy fix is to weld it and redrill the hole.

I have welded them in the past when the hole gets elongated to a point of failure. Make sure you get a guy welding who has some experience with stainless and make sure to use heat sinks.

--
    Philip
    --
  • I TIG'ed a stainless washer onto each side of mine, worked great. I could offer that service if you want to ship the tang.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Thanks for the input....is it possible to do the welding with the tang still riveted to the mast? I'd rather not remove it and have to re-rivet.

Thanks,
    Devin
  • Yes

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Again, yes. Just make sure to dissipate the heat when welding. Fill it solid, grind it flat, then drill a new hole.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Buy Phillips tang, drill out the old rivets. Get new rivet cups or sleeves, 5200 silicon and put it on. You will need one heck of a riveter though and you want full stainless rivets. JMHO, Richard.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.