Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

When do you say, "No WAY"?  Bottom

• With the Lows and Highs coming in now to change our weather from Summer to Winter , we get WIND!

The front my come in and be blowing for days! What are some tips that you have or mastered to stay sailing? When is it to much wind for your boat and you? This weekend they are calling for 20s and gust near 40s in the lake i am at! I normally watch my Hobie buddies, use them as wind indicators if they flip over i know its not normal out there! Well some guys cant sail yet or just learning their boat but there are certain people i watch out for !

--
    Reynolds 21 Catamaran #38
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • The wind always feels stronger on the shore.
    Look at the trees and the water.
    If the trees are bending over, or there is foam blowing off the white caps on the water, you might wait a beer or two.
    You have to challenge yourself to improve, though.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • pilot wisdom may help "when in doubt don't" remember the pilot is the first to arrive at the scene of the accident.
    marc
  • Have learned by experience that if it is a popular spot in the summer and no other boats are in sight then you probably shouldn't go. Thirty miutes later the big stick was laying in the water. Like the song says "Momma told me not to come"

Edited by golfdad75 on Oct 14, 2012 - 10:58 AM.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • marcs2 remember the pilot is the first to arrive at the scene of the accident.

Beauty.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • lots of factors:
    whos boat is it / condition of gear
    whats it rated for vs crew weight
    wind range
    skippers skills
    sailing area (bay/gulf/etc)

But ya gotta test the limits sometimes to know how far is "too far"

I have gone out a few times in above 25 (intentionally). been caught in 25+ many times.

The 2 intentional times were on Darts (18 & 20) and it was documented above 40 for at least one of these sails

we were loving it on the dart 18.. until it got so hairy the skipper couldn't effectively steer it and we beached it about 1/2 mile south of our target - sans damage.

The other time there were with 3 of us on a Dart 20... it was fast, furious and very wet... we were snapping battens left and right... the skipper was smiling from ear to ear

In hindsight... i'd probably stay on land

Edited by MN3 on Oct 15, 2012 - 01:25 PM.
  • I once sailed my Nacra 5.2 in the low 20's with somewhat higher gusts. It was in the bay but with a combined crew weight barely over 300 lbs, it was survival conditions. We lasted about 20 minutes and called it a day (no damage to boat or body).
    I crewed on a Nacra 20 this past summer with a tropical storm off shore in the Round-The-Island race (Okaloosa Island). It was blowing like stank but we never felt out of control even when I got washed off the back while on the wire. It looked like a mule bit me on my bicep the next day. I don't remember hitting anything. The skipper kept us upright with the spinnaker full and me zinging around knocking the tiller and the rudders all over the place. I eventually climbed back over the side but was a waste of a crew member the rest of the day. It was glorious!

--
    Rob V.
    Panama City, FL
    --
  • redtwin It looked like a mule bit me on my bicep the next day. I don't remember hitting anything.

Have obtained similar markings in that situation from trying to control my flight by wrapping arm around side stay.
    Pretty bruising colors- burgundy into a weird green and some dispersed yellow.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • klozhald
    redtwin It looked like a mule bit me on my bicep the next day. I don't remember hitting anything.

Have obtained similar markings in that situation from trying to control my flight by wrapping arm around side stay.
    Pretty bruising colors- burgundy into a weird green and some dispersed yellow.

Kind of like this? Happened when I managed to crash twice in 20 minutes at this years Juana Good Time Regatta. It's a month later and I still get a twinge and have kind of lumps in the muscles. Don't try to catch yourself by wrapping your arm around a shroud.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=89676&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • The Hobie 18 is only limited by it's crew. Clearly I'm exaggerating, but only slightly.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Kevin219The Hobie 18 is only limited by it's crew. .

Absolutely, I blame my crew for the capsizes and injuries. icon_cool

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Out in my NACRA 17 about a month ago in Clearwater. I knew I was pushing my capabilities in 20's, was heading downwind, gust pitch poled me boat everything. As soon as the rudders were half way out I knew I was going over. icon_lol

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    Newbie but catching on fast.
    NACRA 17
    --
  • DamonLinkousKind of like this? Happened when I managed to crash twice in 20 minutes at this years Juana Good Time Regatta. It's a month later and I still get a twinge and have kind of lumps in the muscles. Don't try to catch yourself by wrapping your arm around a shroud.

Mine was a little darker but not nearly as big as your bruise. It had all the cool colors like Klozhald mentioned. I was behind the skipper on the wire so it couldn't have been the shroud. I think I may have done it trying to climb over the ream beam. I couldn't get over it without interfering with the tiller.

--
    Rob V.
    Panama City, FL
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.