Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

1989 G-Cat 5.0 Hull Repair - Advice needed  Bottom

• I have developed large soft spots on the decks of both hulls, with cracks running lengthwise along the deck fairly close to the tramp lacing holes. It is my first year with the boat, and they seemed to develop over a single sailing season.... Now it is time for some repair work.

Do G-Cats have foam cores like other cats? For a large area that extends to the edge of the deck, will injection work?

Has anyone added structural reinforcements (bulkheads) from the inside via a port?

--
    Luke - Michigan
    G-Cat 5.0
    --
  • from what i have read the hulls are hand laid fiberglass - no foam core. i had an '83 that was solid. i think the deck on one hull had a little flex to it. how "soft" are the spots on yours? the cracks may just be in the gelcoat?

--
    switched to the dark-side (mutineer 15 mono-hull)

Little Rock Arkansas
    --
  • There is a lot of flex. I can push down on the deck and it depresses about an inch. I can't sit on the decks anymore because I am concerned about breaking through.

--
    Luke - Michigan
    G-Cat 5.0
    --
  • i had the same problem on my 18 square with cracks running lengthtwise along the deck where you sit aft of the centerboard and foreward of the aft beam. i sanded thru the gelcoat and bonded 2 layers of glass the entire with of the deck. i used epoxy and bi or triaxial cloth.
    marc
  • Marc - did you attempt any repairs from the inside?

--
    Luke - Michigan
    G-Cat 5.0
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.