Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Always more than one way...  Bottom

• So, over the last few years when riggging my P16, the question of whether to insert the lower portion of the main into the luff track on the mast or leave it out has nagged at me. I have done both and nothig astonishing happened :) but which is right????

--
    85 Prindle 16
    "If you aint the lead dog the view never changes"
    North Carolina
    --
  • I think it might be hard on the sail if enough pressure was applied to the outhaul. Also might get the bolt rope stuck in the track and make it hard to strike or reef the main in a storm. My rule of thumb is, if you think you probably should do it, do it.

--
    Mike Brady
    Sugar Land, TX
    Sailing off Magnolia Beach in Lavaca Bay TX
    http://358degrees.blogspot.com/
    P16 "Pooh Cat"
    --
  • Every little bit helps. Keep it in the track. That will keep the downhaul in proper alignment and have the entire luff of the sail transferring power through the mast instead via the downhaul. It is not a big deal, just cleaner and doesn't stress out the sail to be out of place.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I have never seen anyone able to reef a Prindle main during a storm while sailing. If it is blowing hard enough tp consider reefing, head for shore. I would be interested if you were able to reef your sail on the water during calm weather and how long it takes. None of the newer sails have reef points.
    makinmajikI think it might be hard on the sail if enough pressure was applied to the outhaul. Also might get the bolt rope stuck in the track and make it hard to strike or reef the main in a storm. My rule of thumb is, if you think you probably should do it, do it.
  • Mine actually has reef points although I would doubt I will ever use them. I do think dropping the sail if a storm is coming while you are on the beach would be wise and I would want to be able to do so quickly. On the water run if you can or worst case knock it over manually and right it after the storm passes is what I have been told.

--
    Mike Brady
    Sugar Land, TX
    Sailing off Magnolia Beach in Lavaca Bay TX
    http://358degrees.blogspot.com/
    P16 "Pooh Cat"
    --
  • Drummer63So, over the last few years when riggging my P16, the question of whether to insert the lower portion of the main into the luff track on the mast or leave it out has nagged at me. I have done both and nothig astonishing happened :) but which is right????

Were you talking about reefing?

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I like to keep the foot in the track but it can be hard on my p18 with my new sail as it always catches kind a funny getting it in there and you don't baby in it you can tear the bolt rope when you down haul.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • File the edge off of the entrance to the lower track a bit, and lube it. That should help.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.