Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Reynolds VS Hobie!  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• Edchris177
    So true, here is an experiment where Matt Miller spanked quite a few boats, with a modified Hobie Wave.
    http://catsailor.com/waves/superwave_overall.html

You lost me here. That link is about Rick White's wave, who also Godfathered the IWCA. Matt is a Hobie guy and would unlikely endorse anything other than Hobie one design.

--
    Philip
    --
  • QuoteThat link is about Rick White's wave,

Thank you. I was sleep deprived from a 34 hour stint between bedtimes. I gave Rick credit in my tech album on furling, but got the wrong name for this thread, must have been reading to many threads on the Hobie Forum.
    It was indeed Rick White who did the Super Wave, & spanked many sailors who had superior platforms, by using his superior skills.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • QuoteI also wanted this Heavy boat because of the safety of it in most wind conditions, now i have been very close in flipping her, and that was scary so i learned from that experience real quick !

So how far in the air was the windward hull when you got very close to flipping her? Have you started to learn the balancing act of keeping the windward hull 6" to a foot out of the water. Glad to hear you are liking your boat and it fits your needs. I am not familiar with a R21, does it have trapeze lines and harnesses? Even at 900lbs, putting 400lbs out on the wire would have a huge impact on boat balance and performance.

It looks like there are a lot of sailboats out on the lake where you sail. Do they do any organized races? You might be able to enter a multihull open class and see how you really stack up against the hobies when on a course.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Here is a NEW video i made! https://docs.google.com/f…dSV0tPdWQzWnM/edit?pli=1

the hull was 45 degrees in the Air and leeward hull was almost submerged , i have had the hull out of the water all day in this video.. The lake i sail we have 20 hobies that sail there and some are just learning others fly hulls all day if wind is right! Then we have a small group that loves to teach. It is a cool group no racing yet we do chase each other alot!

--
    Reynolds 21 Catamaran #38
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • This was in 15 to 24mph gusts!

http://www.youtube.com/wa…UUjhZyd-pTsyXP_uNiNsEcFA

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • looks like great conditions (love the hat) ;)

I would LOVE to see how your boat looks/runs from the other angle (got a chase boat?)

PS your jib needs more downhaul :)

Edited by MN3 on Sep 25, 2012 - 01:18 PM.
  • well the wife was talking on her cell phone when i was flying a hull ! I told her i need video i cant do it all myself but i guess i will have to! I need better cleats i guess the jib falls sometimes like the main does i think my sails are stretched too.. So you didn't like the video?

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • didn't know it was from a phone..

i have hung my iphone over my hulls before, but it's not a wise move to push your luck with.

i loved the video.. .but what i (personally) like to see in cat videos are the boats moving, how they lay in the water, how they glide, your hull angle, flex, sail shape, jib leach, sail leach, etc ... OR hot chics ... not skippers icon_biggrin
  • Haahaha i have no Hot crew members sorry! We all try to video each other so i am waiting for that good shot of my boat, so we will seee if i get one this year! icon_cool

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • I think this recent video will highlight the important things such as, video over the side / hulls in the water, and some other key things i mentioned above

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jVav5wn2D8

Edited by MN3 on Sep 26, 2012 - 12:54 PM.
  • That video was kinda of a bad one.. But i know what you mean and i am not set up to do that i need a pole of some sort to do a wide view for ya!

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • QuoteThat video was kinda of a bad one..

ummmm.. hot chicks = a good movie

Quotei am not set up to do that i need a pole of some sort to do a wide view for ya!

that was a gopro camera, but she was holding it in her hand.... no pole needed
  • A guy on board had Video glasses on, Now in this one the H18 couldnt catch me until the wind died! you can see him way behind me! at the end you will see him blow by me as the wind died!

http://youtu.be/AOkCUPyquBI

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • You can definitely see the jib halyard needs a little yank in that last video. If you want feedback on your sail trim, just do a scanning shot of your sails on the next video. You can get all kinds of feedback with those shots. Everyone is an armchair quarterback but you'd be surprised at how some of the most minor tweaks recommended on this site will make a big difference. I can only see the obvious trim issues. Others see a lot more. With some tweaks the H-18 will at least have to pass you to windward instead of sailing right through your wind shadow. icon_mad

--
    Rob V.
    Panama City, FL
    --
  • Yes i know my sails seem to Fall down when there Is a lot of preasure in them. I dont know What im gonna do to fix it I installed a clam cleat on the mast for the jib maybe my halyards are just streched out ir something.. What are som Good cleats to use??

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • soulofasailorYes i know my sails seem to Fall down when there Is a lot of preasure in them. I dont know What im gonna do to fix it I installed a clam cleat on the mast for the jib maybe my halyards are just streched out ir something.. What are som Good cleats to use??

please post pics of what you currently have and use.. a phone video would be great too

my jib downhaul is just a line that i tie around my front bridal setup (the turnbuckle above my jib furler). i use a simple knot to add leverage (2to1) and end it with a rolling hitch..

(i can take a pic/vid this weekend if you want)
  • Yes i will take a video of mine too! Thanks..

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • Here is a Quick Video!

https://docs.google.com/o…mgg7uc4DzRVFRVjg2Ml9LVjg

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • Think about a small self-cleating winch.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Here is another look at my boat and i will post another shot from a hobie guys camera!

http://www.youtube.com/wa…UUjhZyd-pTsyXP_uNiNsEcFA

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.