Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Reynolds VS Hobie!  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• well let me just say this these hobies are freaking FASTTTTTTT! i came from a Mono life, i was brought with a Abbott33 our top speed on a lake is 11knts on the Ocean we had 17+ surfing. The way a mono is WL vs SA (waterline vs Sail Area) if you are in a 24ft mono trying to catch a 33 foot boat that isn't gonna happen, unless the 33 ft skipper isnt sailing the boat!

Now i bring this thinking over to Catamaran sailing and it does seem A Lot different! But with my boat weighing in at 900 bls
    and my sail area i think or i want to think that a Hobie cant catch me! as you can see in this video i do stay with the hobies during this day http://www.youtube.com/wa…UUjhZyd-pTsyXP_uNiNsEcFA

now dont look at my Main sheet i have fixed it since this video! this is my first season with this boat so i have fixed alot of things because of the winds i have had it in!

we are on a slight reach almost headed downwind, but really there hasn't been a true test yet of my sailing ability because on this dumb lake the wind shifts so much! We all never have the same winds..

My seller of this boat tells me and showed me pictures of him in a race on the ocean, that he has beat F-Boats and Stilettos and other cats. so i am also going by what he has said, i am tweaking this to its MAX!

I also wanted this Heavy boat because of the safety of it in most wind conditions, now i have been very close in flipping her, and that was scary so i learned from that experience real quick !

--
    Reynolds 21 Catamaran #38
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • Is the Reynolds truly a boomless rig, it appears that there is but 1 cringle at the clew. but I see a multiple hole clew plate for the jib. A little more down haul will help with your performance.
  • I did a search on your boat and all the others that I saw had a multiple hole clew plate. It would help with your performance to have it added. You could also add a clew traveler instead, similar to the ones on nacra 6.0 just a little more expensive than a regular clew plate.
  • QuoteI did a search on your boat and all the others that I saw had a multiple hole clew plate. It would help with your performance to have it added.

Hullflyer was referring to the clew plate on your mainsail, I had to read that a few times before I understood which clew plate he was referring to. Dunno what a clew traveler is, please explain Elias, prefer pics, cause I'm stoopid..... icon_eek

And yes please, more downhaul, take all those wrinkles out the main

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Soul man,

I posted the Reynolds PN to the other thread. A Tornado is 'freaking fast', the Hobie 16 takes you by about 5.5%, F-boats you ain't gonna pass by either and fugeddabout the Stilettos. Boat sellers have very 'selective' and 'creative' memories, not every word they tell you is gonna be the gospel truth.

Another FYI, I like your posts, nothing derogatory here, just some simple facts hoping they help. The Reynolds is a great boat for it's intended purpose. IMHO anything that gets you on the water and doesn't spew exhaust fumes 'is a great boat.' If you are happy with the boat that's all that matters.

As for telescoping beams, I wouldn't waste the money, it'll take a rocket scientist to re-jigger the engineering of all the stresses involved and it won't be that much faster to assemble.

--
    'life is too short to drink cheap beer'
    --
  • A clew traveler is about the same length as the clew plate, except it allows you to move the position using a traveler car and a cleat instead of changing the hole position. The ones on nacra 6.0s are Harken equipment.
    turbohobo
    QuoteI did a search on your boat and all the others that I saw had a multiple hole clew plate. It would help with your performance to have it added.

Hullflyer was referring to the clew plate on your mainsail, I had to read that a few times before I understood which clew plate he was referring to. Dunno what a clew traveler is, please explain Elias, prefer pics, cause I'm stoopid..... icon_eek

And yes please, more downhaul, take all those wrinkles out the main
  • Yes the. Down hull is a problem it comes loose when i pull mainsheet tight. It's like my. Main sail falls a little. So I have a lot more tweaking to do before. I'm able to spank these hobie cats.. :). I have to figure out why my rudders shake a little and my boat falls off if i let go of the tiller! I'm telling you guys this boat is Fasttt. :))

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • it can / will take years of cat sailing to learn how to sail (a new boat) to your max potential.

I sailed a H16 and a H18 for about 8years, and then purchased my 5.5. This boat took about 2 years to learn how to sail it well, and another year to get tho where i am now (and i sail 150 days a year, with lots of boats in my class, and with good sailors)

TOW is your friend (time on water)

Edited by MN3 on Sep 20, 2012 - 09:25 AM.
  • havliiiSoul man,

I posted the Reynolds PN to the other thread. A Tornado is 'freaking fast', the Hobie 16 takes you by about 5.5%, F-boats you ain't gonna pass by either and fugeddabout the Stilettos. Boat sellers have very 'selective' and 'creative' memories, not every word they tell you is gonna be the gospel truth.

Another FYI, I like your posts, nothing derogatory here, just some simple facts hoping they help. The Reynolds is a great boat for it's intended purpose. IMHO anything that gets you on the water and doesn't spew exhaust fumes 'is a great boat.' If you are happy with the boat that's all that matters.

As for telescoping beams, I wouldn't waste the money, it'll take a rocket scientist to re-jigger the engineering of all the stresses involved and it won't be that much faster to assemble.

>>>>
    What really come on man, if i had the same strong winds i would love to see this! I know i could catch a F-boat or a stiletto! Dam i wish we could see this happen!

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • LOL............Make it happen, Soul man, spank a stiletto or an F-boat. Most of the Stilettos carry a PN that is in the low 60's, so if you spank one, it will be with a 150 HP Johnson on the back of the Reynolds.

--
    --
  • WOW!!
    havlii you are spanking me right now! :)

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • Reading this thread reminds me of the Flagpole scene from "A Christmas Story comes to mind. Who's going to skip protocol and go right to the "double dog dare". Loser of the race has to stick his tongue to the mast!
  • Quote posted the Reynolds PN to the other thread. A Tornado is 'freaking fast'

Now I like this thread since I just got a Tornado icon_biggrin

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • I am glad i can be of some Entertainment to all! and Oh how i wish we could be in the same waters! :) we will never know!

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • Not to worry, Soul man, all of my boats are trailer-able including the F-boat. We'll get on the same water one day. You're not that far north of my home waters on the Chesapeake Bay, so as Monty Hall would say, "COME ON DOWN." The Bay will 'pucker your sphincter.' (the words of a good friend and fellow sailor)

--
    --
  • Aaaah, I've given up trying to spank anyone. I own a boat that pre-dates all of the ones under discussion. But hey, mine can surf! :)

Anyway, don't give up hope! And don't stop sailing and trying to improve your game. If it came down to a fast boat with a crappy sailor and a slower boat with an outstanding sailor, my money would be on the better sailor, not the faster boat.

My favorite anecdote on this topic is an SCCA autocross race in California years ago. (I got this second-hand, so bear with me if you were there and I tell it wrong.) All the drivers but one got there an hour before the race to walk the course and go to the driver's meeting. All but one. The last guy pulls up in a Lamborghini as cars are already lining up to start. Need to walk the course? Bah! Driver's meeting? Humbug! He gets in line, gets his start, and proceeds to skid everliving crap out of his car all over that course, hitting cone after cone. When the scores were tallied, even the guy in the stock Honda Civic spanked his ass. That's on time alone, not counting the cone penalties. Lamborghini guy went ape crap on everyone, insisting they were all liars. Everyone but him left with a BIG big smile on their faces.

If you ever DO spank a Hobie or a Tornado or a Stiletto (sigh... Stiletto...) just be sure to offer to show the guy some tricks afterward, and get some helm time in his boat while he holds on for dear life!

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • Well i drive a 12 Dodge Ram truck! so i am so not like that Lamborghini guy! :) im just having fun here , i still have a lot to learn yet on my boat but i haven't missed a weekend on the water yet! This lake is bad with wind shifts, i would like a open body of water some day! :)

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --
  • QuoteIf it came down to a fast boat with a crappy sailor and a slower boat with an outstanding sailor, my money would be on the better sailor, not the faster boat.

So true, here is an experiment where Matt Miller spanked quite a few boats, with a modified Hobie Wave.
    http://catsailor.com/waves/superwave_overall.html

QuoteThis lake is bad with wind shifts, i would like a open body of water some day! :)

It is easy to think you are as fast as others when in a duckpond, no one has anywhere to go. Once you get out where you can run for miles the differences in boat speed are very apparent.
    You have an ideal Cat for making long trips, perhaps several days in length, lots of storage room. Get up there & sail around Lake Erie!

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Quote This lake is bad with wind shifts, i would like a open body of water some day! :)

we have serious wind ebb and flows here in the gulf too (wind shifts too every day as the sea breeze kicks in)

unless it's a westerly we are plagued with wind gusts from all the windage across the state(s).

I had crew on board last weekend and one asked why the wind is so up and down... i stated it probably is from someone waving on the beach a few hours ago on the other side of the state

Edited by MN3 on Sep 21, 2012 - 02:40 PM.
  • well if you watch my videos the lake isn't super small , but it is NOT LAKE Erie. I was trying to find a place on lake Erie to leave my boat during the summer so i don't have to take it apart all the time! The lake i am at now it is 170 bucks for the season this is why i am there! The winds do suck at times and very shifty! You might get a 5 min. run at the most some times we had one day during the summer when i was doing 15 knts the whole day! I am hoping this weekend will be good. :)

http://www.youtube.com/wa…UUjhZyd-pTsyXP_uNiNsEcFA

--
    Pennsylvania, PA.
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.