Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

P16 Help  Bottom

• Can anyone tell me the length of their tiller tubes, measure from the casting to the end of the tube, do not include the end-cap where the lines exit.
    Someone sometime in the past replaced the tiller tubes on my P16 but they are 30 3/4" long, extending past the rear beam, impeding the mainsheet swivel cam.

Thanks
    Turbo

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • ....any Prindle 16 sailors out there...... denk

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • need a measurement of the tiller arm from where it protrudes from the casting, to the end of the tiller tube, not including the end-cap.....please

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • I will be working on my rudders tomorrow, I will see what I can do.

--
    Mike Brady
    Sugar Land, TX
    Sailing off Magnolia Beach in Lavaca Bay TX
    http://358degrees.blogspot.com/
    P16 "Pooh Cat"
    --
  • Mine both measure 14 5/16" from casting to seam at cap, not including the cap.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • .......thanks Mike, thanks Peter, so I guess 30 12/16" is a bit long huh....... bomb

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • How could it even sail with them that long? What were ey thinking. Did they run the main sheet blocks behind the crossbar for the rudders? I wonder if tey were trying to eliminate the hiking stick.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Hey Dustin, my thoughts exactly, the replacing of the tiller tubes was so well done I did not pick it up untill my new 4' rudder lines arrived, I had just finished redoing all the rudder sheaves and started feeding the lines only to find them too short, so I called Murrays for line length and they confirmed 4', so I'm standing there staring at the rudders trying to figure out what's going on when I notice a label on the bottom of the tiller tube, after I read label the light bulb flashed on, I step back and realize the tiller connector bar sticks out past the rear beam by about 8"-12". Will remove rudders, drill out rivets on end-caps, cut tiller tube to length, cut "V' notch, and re-rivet end-caps.

Just need a 2nd on that tiller tube length......no offense Peter........ icon_biggrin

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Why? I usually cut twice and it is still too short. No offense taken. Did recheck now that it is daylight and that measurement is correct.

Edited by pknapp66 on Aug 26, 2012 - 07:32 AM.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Ok, Cut the tiller arms down to 14 1/4 ", re-riveted the end-caps after cutting out a "V" jamb-notch, drilled the holes for the tiller connector bolts 2 1/2" back from ends, re-attached everything. Now the 4' rudder lines fit, have re-done all the rudder sheaves, everything ready for the rudders, just going to apply a few coats of Zep Wet Look Floor Finish to the rudders and will dial the rudders in.

biggrin

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.