Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Test solo right in lawn?  Bottom

• I've built a solo right and have gotten to the point where I need to put my H18 on her side to do some test fitting. Stupid question but what is the best way to do this? Unfortunataly I do not have beach nearby so it will be done in my back yard... Should I just put the mast up, flip her on her side and sit the mast on a saw horse just below the comptip?
  • Yes, just be gentle. I would not advise auctually trying to right the boat though without plenty of hands around to catch the mast or hull

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • When I was mucking around with my N5.7, I placed a couple of inflated inner tubes,(got used ones free from a tire shop)on the lawn, positioned so the hull would come down on them.
    MAKE SURE YOUR RUDDERS ARE IN THE FULL "UP" position when you right it. IF they happen to get moved to "down", you will snap the one on the grass as the boat rights.
    It is very helpful to have another set of hands,(or be careful & use the shroud to "walk" the mast down to the grass when you tip it.
    Once you reach the overbalance point, it will want to come over rather hard. If it slams into the ground you will break something. Even when flipping it purposely on the water, it is surprising how hard the mast slams into the water.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • The only help I'll have is from my friend Sam Adams... I like the inner tube idea. I dont think I'll have to try testing the solo-right, I'm sure the righting force will be sufficient, i just need to set the lines.
  • IF this is for a righting pole then about all you can do is see if it begin to lift because there is not where for the righting pole to go. Plus since the boat has the leverage of the ground against it it will react differently.

Should go without saying but make sure there are no power lines in your yard that will get you in trouble.

I have flipped my H17 and P16 in the yard to inspect and work on things here and there but I usually do not even have rudders attached. I used a camp chair just before the comptip to protect it. I gotta tell you all I really think comptips were a stupid idea, enough said.

Nice thing about Prindles is you can stand them on their side fairly stably without having the mast stepped.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • I was also thinking I could just lean the boat up against my deck and not bother with stepping the mast... either way should make for an interesting Saturday...
  • Offsetting the mast and sails in the water with the drag from the water on the sails will add a lot of resistance you just wont find in your yard. But you can at least test out the technical aspects making sure everything is in the right place and will move as planned.

Edited by Quarath on Jul 31, 2012 - 01:16 PM.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.