Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New H16 Hull Install Problem  Bottom

• HI All, I recently posted about excessive hull flex... I 'solved' the problem by getting some "new" hulls. The boat is an 80' and the replacement hulls are 81'.

The frame slid onto the piles pretty well, one needed a little coaxing with a hammer, but they all fit. The problem is that the holes don't line up. In 2 cases the outside hole lines up and the inside one is off fore-aft (x axis), it lines up vertically (y axis). In the other 2 cases both the inside and outsides holes are off on the X axis (fore-aft).

I was thinking it might be some sort of rotation issue due to having the tramp tight the whole time, but the piles are not round and they are several inches into the frame so I don't understand how there would be enough play to create a misalignment due to rotation. I raised the mast thinking it would help settle the frame on the hulls, no luck with that, everything basically stayed as it was.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Is this an install issue?
    Are different year boats slightly different?
    Is there significant manufacturing variation to create such an issue?
    Am I way out of line to use a drill to open up the holes in the piles a little to get the bolts through?

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Best,
    Paul
  • I would put in smaller diameter bolts & sail it a little to see if it settles out. Pete
  • Thanks Pete.
    Wouldn't that allow it to settle in the vertical direction? The holes are off horizontally.
  • I had the same problem with a H-16 last month while helping a friend replace some hulls. I just went to a little larger bolt, drilled the larger holes to accomadate. By doing this, there was no slop in either direction and it really tightened up the frame. I went to Home Depot and purchased the SS bolts, lock washers and nuts for about $5 or $6, they came in a prepacked kit.
  • Thanks HF, thats a great idea too.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.