Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Question on Jib Jam Preventor, and small pulley on mast P16  Bottom

• On a '84 Prindle 16, there is a small pulley attached to the lower section of the mast is this where the shock cord for the Jib Jam Preventor threads thru? If not, what is it used for? Also the manual says attach the jib jam preventor cord to the dolphin striker, is the jib jam preventor cord tied around the front tramp cross member to the dolphin striker?

Thanks-

--
    16' Prindle
    Emerald Coast of Florida
    --
  • Panic,

The small pulley is for the downhaul. The jib jam preventer (just a piece of shock cord) attaches to both ends of the dolphin striker (close to the hulls), and stays there. When you rig the boat, just attach it any-old-where, a bit up on the mast.

--arthur

--
    Check out our latest projects at The Yacht Barn!
    http://theyachtbarn.com
    --
  • By the way, if you look at page 19 of the manual, under Mast Rotator (i know the 16 doesn't have one), you'll see a picture showing the pully used by the downhaul.

--arthur

--
    Check out our latest projects at The Yacht Barn!
    http://theyachtbarn.com
    --
  • Thanks-

Now the dumb question... I assume it should form a peak shape when looking from the bow, what do I attach it to on the mast?

--
    16' Prindle
    Emerald Coast of Florida
    --
  • Quote I assume it should form a peak shape when looking from the bow,

Correct.
    I run mine through the diamond wires.From one hull up to & through diamonds, then down & out to other hull. If you have a stick without diamonds, you could rivet an eyestrap, or tie it to anything that is already attached a few feet up the mast.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • On my P18 I have small bit of line attached to bottom of the diamond wires with SS carabiner in the middle, that way All I have to do is pull he bungee up and clip it in. The P16 has small eye strap riveted on by a Previous owner.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • On my Hobie 18, I just use one of the bungees from my trailering rig. Hook both ends to the DS and run it through the bottom of the diamond wires, and around the front of the mast. The hooks end up about a foot on either side of the boat's center line

Edited by presto99 on Jul 30, 2012 - 11:30 AM.

--
    Jeff
    Houston TX
    1986 Hobie 18 Sail# 13031
    --
  • I have a piece of 3/8" bungee with overhand knots on each end. I slip the knots in the forward cross beam tramp slot on each side, then pull the center over the gooseneck on the mast.

--
    John Fricker
    Prindle 16
    Seabrook, Texas
    --
  • Ever get the jib lines caught on the hook?
    QuoteThe hooks end up about a foot on either side of the boat's center line
  • Funny story about Jib sheet preventer: I just went out on the Great Salt Lake for the first time last week. Sailing was great out on the water but at certain times of year on shore can be kind nasty with millions of dead brine flies and such. The water inside marina was kind gross because of this. Water was about &78 degrees so almost to warm. With the salt water the tramp seemed very slippery compared to usual. When we were coming back in my son was was being cool and standing up on the from corner of the tramp. The wind is kinda sheltered in the marina itself so once we made the 90 degree turn we were kinda into the wind as it registered on the tells even though outside the marina we would have been on a good reach. So I handed my son the paddle to take the last 100 ft or so and he was gonna sit straddling the hull in front of the beam only his foot caught on the jib sheet preventer. He caught himself for second then slipped right off the boat into the nasty marina water of the saltiest lake on earth. After making sure he was ok ( well in truth before that ) I laughed my ass off the rest of the way to the ramp. What was even funnier was his girlfriend was with us.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • MN3Ever get the jib lines caught on the hook?
    QuoteThe hooks end up about a foot on either side of the boat's center line

No. I hook the hooks on the Dolphin Striker with the open side of the hook facing aft.

--
    Jeff
    Houston TX
    1986 Hobie 18 Sail# 13031
    --
  • Sort of off topic, Dustin, but I was wondering if you notice a speed increase when sailing Great Salt Lake? I know from swimming in it many years ago, & once in the Dead Sea, that you float noticeable higher, due to the greater density. Your boat will displace less water, ride higher, should have less drag, & be faster.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Hard to say for sure but we did have some pretty good reaches for a fairly low amount of wind and had the boat pretty loaded weight wise with 3 people. I am about the same as 2 people so you could say 4. Winds were around 12 and my phone GPS says we were about 11.9 at our fastest. It was enough that when my son was helming I moved my fat butt more to the center and little windward than usual.

Because of the water density the wind does not affect it as much so you quite often get a good clip going even when the water is still glass.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.