Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

P16 moving to a crossbeam jib block system  Bottom

• Has anyone done this (successfully) to give more room on the tramp? Track or othewise?

--
    85 Prindle 16
    "If you aint the lead dog the view never changes"
    North Carolina
    --
  • Yes--I have the 'kit' (for sale). It relies on a barber hauler much more than the factory system. The boat I had came with custom sails, so there may be an issue with the location and angle of the clew on the jib. I believe the leech and foot of the sail are shorter??
  • Pete has done this before using Hobie 16 parts. It involves moving the bridle forward about 18 inches or so on the bow. I think it sounds great but have not been to a point to actually do it myself. Not sure how it affects the slot with the jib. I think Pete says it is not significant.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Have done it to several Prindles, 16 & 18"s. sailed side by side with regular rig & saw no difference. Sure cleans up the tramp. Have to move the bridle tang 18" forward & build new longer bridles in order to keep same forestay. Crew will love it although it's a longer reach for single handing. There a several things you can do to these old boats since strick one design racing is no more. I particularily like my front tramp on Tornado & slightly larger Nacra 20 mainsail on "T". Square topping the P-16 with cut down P-18 sail has made it more lively. Pete
  • So The P18 top batton really has quite and angle to it. It is not really square. You just leave it like this and call it good. Other that the head plate what to you do to Tidy up the new top where you cut it down? or did you just have a sail maker do it.

Also my P18 jib matches the sail. How much bigger is the P18 Jib. Could be used on the P16 in an MX fasion?

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--
  • Pete, can you tell me what length the new bridles need to be based on an 18" tang shift? Then I assume standard "Hobie" track, cleats and outhaul system? I feel a winter project coming on and would love to have a big clean tramp for the family

--
    85 Prindle 16
    North Carolina
    --
  • Yes, standard H-16 track & beveled rivits from Murrays. Since rivit gun may not reach into track, put a small nut atop rivit shaft to pull it. It's been a while since I've done this & boats are long gone so don't have bridle measurement. Just tie a rope to mast tang as long as forestay & move forward to plane of new bridle, then measure for bridle. The interesting thing to me was to discover that the bridle tang anchor under the lip was pulverized by corrision & about to fail because of stainless screws into aluminum anchor bar. Dustin, I'll try to get a pic of P-16 sail. Pete
  • Great Point Pete, how does one correctly anchor the new tang position?

--
    85 Prindle 16
    North Carolina
    --
  • You use the detested "lip" by drilling two holes then thru the aluminum anchor. The lip has so many advantages like footstrap loops on the gunnels for anchoring feet when trapezing or man-handling boat onto trailer or on the beach. In its original position, the 2nd bolt in tang had aluminum plate under the glass. How do I know? Because stainless screw is frozen. Asthetics requires modern boats to eliminate the lip. Pete
  • Like an H16 shroud anchor plate? But with 2 holes? sorry for silly questions but this concept intrigues me since the Prindle is a great boat but would be perfect without the tramp clutter :)

--
    85 Prindle 16
    North Carolina
    --
  • Rotate the eye 90 degrees and and bolt both ends of eye through the lip and the load spread(anchor). you can tap and thread the new hole in the anchor or just drill through and put a nut underneath it.

Bet you could sell a kit for this with all the pieces ready to go and directions. Probably not a huge market but you might could sell a few

Doh
    DanBergerYes--I have the 'kit' (for sale). It relies on a barber hauler much more than the factory system. The boat I had came with custom sails, so there may be an issue with the location and angle of the clew on the jib. I believe the leech and foot of the sail are shorter??

Edited by Quarath on Jul 31, 2012 - 01:09 PM.

--
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

--

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.