Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

To buy a Hobie 21SC....that is the question  Bottom

• Not a complete novice to cat sailing, and have been looking for a bigger cat for some time and have come across what could be a deal.

2002 hobie 21 SC.

The good: 1 owner, never trailered (see the bad below), on moring with mast down most of its life, hulls/rudders/boards in good shape, wing pockets good, main rigging appears in good order.

The bad: NO TRAILER, Needs sails (main torn, jib just nasty), needs tramps front and rear (wings ok), needs all ropes (rot). Damage to plastic strips on the comp-tip (are these replaceable?), damage to cast aluminum block that the mast ball is mounted to. O-rings for hatch covers need to be replaced. Does not have the cabin or cooler, does not have pole for stepping mast.

The story is a 65 year old man bought this and did limited sailing for a few years with it. In season it sits on a moring, in winter it is pulled up on a dock to sit.

I can get the cat in the hundreds range, Is it worth it to buy a trailer and rehab the boat, or just look for another that is already put together and ready to rock with a trailer? Finding parts for this cat seems to be a small issue.

Any Ideas or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for any input in advance!
    Patrick

--
    -PG
    '95 Nacra 5.8NA , rule#2
    --
  • Patrick, is this the boat in Lake George? If so look again at the wing pockets. I looked at this quite a while ago and there are cracks in at least two pockets. That boat was on the dock mast up for years and the hulls were full of water. Also there was a pretty deep gouge on the port hull. If you can get it really cheap and
    this is the boat you are looking for then it might make a nice restoration project. Do you live somewhat
    local to this boat?

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Well it depends if you want a project or not. I would consider a mooring as about the worst condition possible to store a boat. Does it have bottom paint? If you have to buy new sails, sheets, and tramps, you could easily spend the same or much less money on a boat that's ready to go.

You did not mention how you planned to sail or your crew situation. A 21 isn't for everyone, I have a 420lb 20' boat and it's quite beastly to handle pulling up anything but a perfect beach with 2 people. Your talking about nearly 300 more pounds with the 21.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Hey Peter, yup the lake george boat it is. I was going to go back early next week and get in the water with it and get a good feel around. The hatch gaskets are junk and I think that is where the water has come from. I do live local to it, and went to check it out a few days ago, its on its moring now with the mast down. Definately not stored well, but did paddle the guys little dingy out to it to get a quick look (such a pain looking at a boat that is in water!).

Bacho, its been in fresh water its whole life, and a couple good rubs with fingers and the grime comes right off, I am guessing a good weekend of scrubbing and wax would do.

You both are leaning me further away. I am guessing that by the end of this season he will let it go for somewhere around $500-700. That sounds like a good price, but $1800 for a trailer, $1600 for a set of sails, $5-700 for tramps, and another 2-300 in misc.......I may as well look at another boat :( Initially the price was a big lure, but seeing it in person was a let down.

Peter....If you are still interested, wait to the end of the season and Im sure he'll let it go for well under advertised. He is selling the home too, and if the house goes before the cat does, the cat will probably go to the landfil, and im pretty certain he doe3s not want to pay to get it taken out of the water and disposed of.

Thanks for the input guys.....looks like I'll keep looking.

--
    -PG
    '95 Nacra 5.8NA , rule#2
    --
  • Interesting that the mast is down and how they did it without a gin pole. I offered $700 just because I was
    there and had my trailer. I told that kid everything that was wrong with it and he still insisted it was good
    except the main sail. They pressure washed it since the original ad. If you do strike a deal I have a trailer you could use to move it though I am an hour from the boat. We sail the Great Sacandaga all the time. Friend has
    a 21SE there. I have my 18 there.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • i just bought a 21 se a month ago. it need some work, wing sockets cracked, a crack in the hull, and dirty. took me about 2 weeks of glass work and cleaning. just a few hours after work here and there. i too was on the fence about tackling a project boat, but i sort of enjoy projects. it now sits on a beach and i took it out the other day for a spin. Im glad i bought it! now i need to sell my H 17. just needed something bigger for the family, crusing the chesapeake.
  • do you have a spinnaker on your SE? Looking for some pics of the setup. I want to get one for mine just don't know what I need to acquire.
  • no spinnaker came with the boat, down the road thats something i want. just trying to get this boat right for this years sailing then work on some minor issues this winter.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.