Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Beachcats Feature suggestion  Bottom

• There are a lot of posts asking about good locations to launch and camp and do whatever. I came across this link on the Hobie forums the other day where someone was making a cross country road trip and plan to sail as locations along the way and were asking for suggestions. To gather info they created a page on Google maps and enabled it for others to add pins to it.

here is the Hobie for an example.
    https://maps.google.com/m…67.0004c4bbac994f53f2d24
    I recommend we start our own.

I think would be an excellent tool to share great sailing/ camping access points to other Beachcat users. I would recommend that Damon set it up and provide a link to it from here and we can all add data. You can leave a small note at pin with information about it.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • I like it, I'd like to have that info on this site instead of on Google, but that would be a good way to start. I'm on it.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I think it is a great idea! It would be convenient to show who actually posted the location and give a link to that person for info. Also, maybe a ratings system, like ease of access, parking, overhead lines, rocky/sandy beach, paved ramp. If you could allow for a good chunk of info describing the location, that would be very helpful, too.

...and if you can tag races to the locations, too...
  • I have seen such maps available outside of Google maps however on Google maps you can change to satellite view and actually see where you go to get there. (ie... trails and such) or street view for roads and such.

Maybe somebody will even mark the SECRET SPOT.

Edited by Quarath on Jul 20, 2012 - 01:55 PM.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • I like this idea a lot. I think Dan's idea of tagging who posted the location is good, too. Nothing like knowing who to contact when you get there to get additional information.

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • Seems like you could put the main map on here and have the map pin link to Google maps for sat view and such. Having the location tagged with the poster is a good idea. Local knowledge is a valuable thing. Here in Texas we just back down to the water, shell beaches and all that. Don't try that in Biloxi, there will be a tow truck in your future! That nice new sand from BP and all. Thank God for AAA.

--
    Mike Brady
    Sugar Land, TX
    Sailing off Magnolia Beach in Lavaca Bay TX
    http://358degrees.blogspot.com/
    P16 "Pooh Cat"
    --
  • secret spot location cost 25$!!!...just kidding...i have been pumping the biloxi spot hopeing to grow the sport localy. i love the idea and would contribute to the page for sure!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • custom google map should do the trick

Edited by matt922 on Jul 20, 2012 - 06:35 PM.
  • Some years someone I don't know if it was Buzz of hobie gary or someone else put together a very good google earth file of places to launch in SoCal. I thought the formate was good because it also included places to eat, stay and other points of interest. Might be a good templet to start with.

the file was named SoCalBeachcats.kmz

Edited by ohmsj on Jul 20, 2012 - 04:53 PM.

--
    Jeff O
    N5.0
    solcat 18(sold),
    N5.2,
    H16
    Camarillo CA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.