Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 14 Stern Deck Lip Damage  Bottom

• This Hobie 14 I'm fixing up has the broken deck lip at the stern where the rudder pin hold is supposed to be. I've seen this type damage on a lot of Hobie 14 & 16's. Since the area is solid fiberglass I'm thinking I can just dremel away any loose parts and fill with marine tex to smooth it out. Doesn't seem worth getting into actual fiberglass work.

On the starboard side it looks like someone used a hacksaw to remove loose glass and cut in too far.

Any suggestions for a quick stable fix?
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=88367

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=88377&g2_serialNumber=3 http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=88386&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • QuoteThis Hobie 14 I'm fixing up

Let's see...you're 6'7"ish & you are "fixing up" an H14.
    It begs the question, do you have a kid you haven't told us about, a new,(small) GF?
    It is hard to tell how deep the damage goes on that right hull, but really glass is so easy to work with, I would grind it away, on a bevel, with the angle grinder, use any 6 mil sheet of scrap plastic sheet as a form & lay up 4 layers of woven roving at a time. It would only take an hour or so, then, using the gudgeon as a guide drill upwards through your work.
    It will be as strong, or better than new.
    If you want it to look really good, finish 1/16" below fair, then use a gelcoat kit.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • You're right, Damon.,,,,the hole is just a place for the pin to go through...no other purpose. Just smooth it up and seal it good so no water can get in the laminate. I have rebuilt one with just thickened epoxy, but it was only cosmetic.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Edchris177
    QuoteThis Hobie 14 I'm fixing up

Very funny, watch for this one in the classifieds soon. Decided to see if I could join the ranks of the money makers here at TheBeachcats and sell some stuff myself. icon_cool

Although I do plan to put it in the water for a test sail and pictures, we will find out how a H14 sails with 238 lbs onboard.

rattlenhumYou're right, Damon.,,,,the hole is just a place for the pin to go through...no other purpose. Just smooth it up and seal it good so no water can get in the laminate. I have rebuilt one with just thickened epoxy, but it was only cosmetic.

Thanks Jerome, that's what I thought. I'll leave it to the next owner if they want to pretty it up.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • DamonLinkous
    Edchris177
    QuoteThis Hobie 14 I'm fixing up

Very funny, watch for this one in the classifieds soon. Decided to see if I could join the ranks of the money makers here at TheBeachcats and sell some stuff myself. icon_cool

Although I do plan to put it in the water for a test sail and pictures, we will find out how a H14 sails with 238 lbs onboard.

LOL _ I said the same thing last weekend. I weigh about that and have put together an old 14 for my 12 year old son. Decided to "Float Test" it and ended up sailing for hours cos it was so much fun...one sail, easy rigging and supported my fat a@@ no worries. May be taking it out for a spin tonight :)
    rattlenhumYou're right, Damon.,,,,the hole is just a place for the pin to go through...no other purpose. Just smooth it up and seal it good so no water can get in the laminate. I have rebuilt one with just thickened epoxy, but it was only cosmetic.

Thanks Jerome, that's what I thought. I'll leave it to the next owner if they want to pretty it up.

Edited by Drummer63 on Jul 19, 2012 - 09:01 AM.

--
    85 Prindle 16
    "If you aint the lead dog the view never changes"
    North Carolina
    --
  • DamonLinkousAlthough I do plan to put it in the water for a test sail and pictures, we will find out how a H14 sails with 238 lbs onboard.

Since you have like an eleven foot wingspan, I'll loan you mine, then you can lash the two together and ride 'em like one of those gals on a pair of dolphins at Sea World! Now I'd pay good money to see that!

One word of advice....don't sit anywhere near any of the corners. That thing will roll over in any direction, and they turtle easy, too!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • Damon, get some Sorlarez Extreme, pick a sunny day and you can have that filled in with a minimum of effort, and it will be strong. http://www.solarez.com/productsnew/e_extreme.html
    Bob

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.