Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

P16 hull delamination: safe to sail?  Bottom

• I just rigged up our '77 P16 last weekend and discovered that a large front section of one hull is delaminated. It's soft when stepped on and makes nasty crunching sounds. The area is about 2 feet long. I've searched the site's old posts for repairing this, and my question is this: is the boat safe to use for the summer like this? I sail on the St Lawrence River and don't push the boat hard (ie no surf or big waves, no trapezing yet).

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    Lake St Francis (St Lawrence River)
    Lancaster, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • This is often the result.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=48153&g2_serialNumber=5

Dave Wilson
    Tampa, FL
  • For moderate breeze and no waves its probably safe enough.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • We had a P-16 totally fall apart from soft hulls last weekend at our beach, it truly collasped with the mast falling down with 3 people aboard. This is the 3rd boat in the past 12 months. A H-16, P-16 and a P-18. All were newer than your boat. Your boat is 36 years old, it is remarkable that they last anywhere near that long. Material fatique just happens over time to include the aluminum and stainless parts as well as the foam sandwich construction. Safe has a different meaning to different people.
  • I sailed a H14 with a half foot soft spot in 20 knots and pitchpoled over that hull. no problem, but It was our beater boat and I was never far from the beach on our small lake. I'd never take people out on such a boat. our P18 had a foot long spot on the inside of the hull aft of the mainbeam, I repaired that as fast as possible. It depends on so much things.

--
    Stefan, Denmark.
    H14,H16,P16,P18,SC17,N5.8
    Team StaySail
    http://www.staysail.eu
    --
  • Fix delam, its easy. Drill 1/8" holes 4" apart with a bit stop so it only goes 3/16" deep in a grid pattern in soft area, squeeze in hard some chilled ~ 60* Loc Tite epoxy from home depot/lowes $15 or some Git Rot (8oz ish) with plenty of masking tape pre cut 2" by 6" pieces as squeezed in epoxy starts to ooze out of extra holes, wait over night and it will be hard as a rock! Just did my cat and its solid as hell :0) The entire process took about an hour. Can light sand and touch up when all done to make it pretty...
    Tim

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • do the repair and don't walk, stand, or sit on the hulls up front... good luck!
    .will last much longer if you don't. the repair is a snap to do

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Wow...guess I better go buy some epoxy! Just like to clarify one thing though: some people refer to a "foam sandwich construction". Is there a layer of fiberglass inside the hull as well (glass/foam/glass)? And how thick is this foam layer? I've done fiberglass repairs before but not this technique. How much epoxy do you inject in each hole?

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    Lake St Francis (St Lawrence River)
    Lancaster, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • Get 8-16 oz. The glass/foam/glass distance is small, less than 1/4" on a hobie. Squeeze hard into top hole until it comes out the next couple holes, taping holes as it oozes to force into more area over and over again from top to bottom, don't be shy. Squeeze as much epoxy in as you possibly can to fill in any gaps/voids and when you're down to the last hole, squeeze it in 'till you know no more will enter for another couple mins ( tube of mixed epoxy will get hot too ) tape last hole when no more will go in. Hopefully you masked off the entire area in advance before drilling, the next day, peel off the horrible looking epoxied tape area and you should find a tough as nails hull. Sand and refinish to taste.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.