Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

P16 Boom Shock Cord/Outhaul Car Line  Bottom

• I looked thru the manuals, but no size is given. My shock cord that runs inside the track of the boom is stretched out. Anyone have any info on this? And the size line and length for the outhaul car on the boom.

Thanks

--
    16' Prindle
    Emerald Coast of Florida
    --
  • I have no idea wht you are takin about when it comes to any shock cord inside the track of the boom on a P16. I have a P18 and a far as I know he booms ar same. I also have 2 P16 booms and I admi I have not inspected them in depth but I am pretty sure there is no shock cord. Must be something someone added but I have no idea what for.

Now on the outhaul you probably want 3/16 long enough go through the outhaul car and block and back to the cleat but so long it gets in the way. However I am not racer so my outhaul is not fancy. Some may have another way that is easier adjust. I am thinking I might modify mine down the road just make it as easy adjustment for single handing.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • The cord is fed thru the hole towards the mast. It is in the track and runs thru the opening in the outhaul car and secured to the back side of the car. It looks like it's to move the car towards the mast when tension is released.

--
    16' Prindle
    Emerald Coast of Florida
    --
  • panic_button,

You won't find this in the manual because it was not a standard rig. A previous owner put this on to put draft in the bottom of the sail off the wind, and it's a good thing to have if it works well. Without it you have to push the sail out when you release the line to get proper draft in the sail.

Pictures of both ends of the shock cord would help, but I am imagining that the shock cord runs from the forward end of the outhaul car through the kerf (groove) in the boom to some point forward- possibly a drilled hole in the boom end cap at the mast end.

This is probably 3/16" or 1/4" shock cord. Measure the thickness on the piece of the cord that sticks out from the backside of the knot. This part should be very close to the original size, having not been stretched during use. Replace with the same diameter cord keeping in mind that the cord will stretch with use and you will tighten it by pulling some length out by the knot, tying another knot and cutting off the excess.

It's Summer- Sheet In!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • panic_buttonThe cord is fed thru the hole towards the mast. It is in the track and runs thru the opening in the outhaul car and secured to the back side of the car. It looks like it's to move the car towards the mast when tension is released.

Your description sounds like the outhaul setup on a Hobie 18, maybe you have a Hobie 18 boom on your Prindle? The Hobie 18 has the outhaul car and shock cord inside the boom.

Does the end of your boom look like the one on this page from the Prindle 16/18 manual?
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=75725&g2_serialNumber=6

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Sounds like an interesting mod because I can see why it might help loosen out haul if you wanted to in lighter wind for more pocket.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • I went with 3/16" shock cord, the 1/4" no matter how I tried would fit in even though I think that's what was there. The piece was streched out to about 5', I figured I'd try 2 1/2' to start. How tight should the cord be at the end of the boom when attached to the car opposite the mast?

--
    16' Prindle
    Emerald Coast of Florida
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.