Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

comptip or non-comptip? That is the question..  Bottom

• So picked up an 81 H16 at the end of last season. Hulls in great condition and I've replaced practically everything on the boat minus sails, mainsheeting system, and trampoline. My mast currently has a slight bend in it and a good friend found a replacement comptip mast in excellent condition. However, I don't really know much about the comptips. I've read on here that some where retrofitted early on that were pretty lousy and they quickly changed the design. I believe the retrofitted ones were somewhat shorter than the aluminum masts as well. My concerns are this:
    1) What are the advantages of having a comptip mast other than potentially saving myself from electrocution?
    2) Will my current sails fit the comptip mast? or are they sized differently enough that I would need news sails.
    3) Are there any performance advantages to the comptip mast?
    4) I just replaced all of the standing rigging on my boat. Will the shrouds and forestays work appropriately with a comptip mast?
    5) Are there any other major changes that I would need to make to my boat for this mast to work? I don't really have that much money to work with so basically I'm hoping that this mast will be my only purchase.

Thanks for the help gentlemen.

--
    Dante Morsillo
    Hobie 16
    Pittsburgh, PA
    --
  • Sorry, I really can't answer any of your questions. But I wanted to add one of my own: I'm assuming "comptip" is short for "composite tip". If the composite uses glass or aramid fibers, your point about electrocution in #1 may be valid. But practically any amount of carbon makes the thing conductive.

So far I've been spared this, but a fellow kite flier had a kite framed out with Skyshark P-series composite spars hit power lines. The way he described it was that his kite essentially vaporized. The graphite in the spars conducted, overheated, ignited the kite fabric, and everything burned to ash before any of it could hit the ground.

Even with a comp tip, I'd be deadly cautious of overhead lines. Those things are like the Terminator. They show no pity. No remorse. And they will not stop. Ever.

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • k2sno070 My mast currently has a slight bend in it and a good friend found a replacement comptip mast in excellent condition.

Go ahead and use the comptip mast. You say it's in excellent condition, so why not? All Hobie 16's are supposed to have comptips so it's not like it's something unusual.

The only thing to check is that the joint is solid and doesn't wiggle, even if it's loose it's possible to pull it out and reattach correctly so just check that the mast track isn't broken or pinched and go for it.

The dimensions and geometry should be the same vs all-aluminum masts. I've never heard the part about a design change and no comptip masts should be shorter than original unless the dealer/owner doing the conversion just screwed it up.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • benedictI'm assuming "comptip" is short for "composite tip". If the composite uses glass or aramid fibers, your point about electrocution in #1 may be valid. But practically any amount of carbon makes the thing conductive.

You are correct, comptip is short for composite tip, meaning fiberglass construction, no carbon fiber at all. The whole point was to make the mast above the hounds non-conductive.

You are also correct that having a comptip doesn't give you a license to throw the mast up into high-tension wires, I wouldn't bet my life that electricity couldn't jump down to the shrouds and metal part of the mast.

Sometimes people have misunderstood the meaning of comptip as "competition tip" and thus think that it was meant to change the function of the mast, not true at all. The tip was specifically engineered to match the characteristics of the original mast as closely as possible.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • i have never sailed with a comp tip but i have not heard anything averse about them. i think there were some "electrical" in nature incidents and hobie had to offer the comptip as part of a settlement or something. they should be interchangeable totally. the worst thing that can happen is the paint wears off and exposes the carbon fiber which does not hold up well to sun.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • klppurdy the worst thing that can happen is the paint wears off and exposes the carbon fiber which does not hold up well to sun.

There is no paint or carbon fiber in/on a comptip. wall

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Aaaaah! Thanks for the info, Damon. That helps a lot.

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • ~~ Also don't forget that your haylard lines are different from "comp" to all "alumin". mast Your right about everything else

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • QuoteThere is no paint or carbon fiber in/on a comptip.

fiberglass

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • Quote1) What are the advantages of having a comptip mast other than potentially saving myself from electrocution?
    Thats the only benefit

Quote3) Are there any performance advantages to the comptip mast?
    No, there is probably a slight loss in performance... but it will not be noticeable, and if you race (class)... you will be competing with other comp tips.. .so who cares[/quote]

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.