Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

G-Cat 5.0  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• So I did a quick Google to see if there were any sailmakers in the vicinity, there were 2 in St Louis, both said 3-4 weeks for sail repair, so I widened my search and found Kerr Sailmakers, Tulsa, OK, call them up, no problem they said, send sail, so I send Tuesday, they get package Thursday and call me Friday to let me know sail is ready, $30 for repair, $14 for shipping. How awesome is that for service, will have my head sail (jib) by Monday, Kerr Sailmakers, ....... dance

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Yeah, the barberhaul uses the same blocks that an adjustable trapeze line uses.

Cool deal. Luckily I have a sail loft here in Dallas that is pretty close to me. Mariner Sails. They do good work and support the local Hobie Fleet 23.

I was out all weekend on my boat, had so much fun. SO sore today though. Used some muscles I probably haven't used in years.

As a warning before you take it out. The G-Cat 5.0 doesn't have a dolphin striker as I'm sure you've seen. The problem with this is if you flip the boat when you go to right it there is nothing to grab onto to stop the momentum and keep it from flipping over the other way. Had a lot of problem with that the first time I pitchpoled this weekend. We had to right it 3 times because it kept going over the other way. We finally got it right by having someone stay in the water and hold the pontoon while the rest of us pulled it over with the righting line.

To remedy this I got some righting line and ran a line below the center spar where the dolphin striker would normally be so the next time I go over I'll have something to grab onto.

I also learned the lesson that you should always have someone hooked in and ready to trap out. Makes the boat so much more stable with someone on the wire that can keep the boat balanced and keep the nose out of the water.
  • kraven, pm sent, check messages, would be interested in jib blocks, need pics, contact me

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • According to the G-Cat Manual, the forestay is attached to the forward beam using a Portugese Turnbuckle, however my G-Cat has bridle wires, doesanyonehaveanyideas? The only info I could find on this website was posted exactly 1 year ago today, unfortunately dustin601 never posted back his findings..... denk

http://www.thebeachcats.c…525&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/12524

Edited by turbohobo on May 25, 2012 - 06:55 PM.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Mine has the bridle wires too. The forestay (jib stay in the assembly diagram) attaches to a ring connecting the bridle wires with the portugese turnbuckle like in the picture you linked. The jib connects directly to the center eye in the front spar.

My boat is a 1981 and rigs exactly like the assembly diagram here http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=80967

Edited by kraven on May 26, 2012 - 07:50 AM.
  • Kraven, brought the G-Cat home today and started cleaning, quickly switched to orbital sander and 800 grit wet sandpaper as the black mold was into the outer layer of gelcoat, basically, I removed that outer layer which was pretty badly oxidized as well. What a transformation, it never ceases to amaze me when that dead, moldy outer gelcoat is removed, it's as if your cat has been re-gelcoated, looks like new. Will finish off with 4-6 coats of Poliglow tomorrow and will take pics of the jib pigtails and shroud bar & pin, hope to go sailing on Monday up at Mark Twain Lake for the day, dunno which cat I will use, hope to be able to get the G-Cat in the water but I need drain plugs, later dude...... cool

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Have fun man. Let me know how it goes. We've been at the lake since Friday. The park lets us keep our boats on the beach all weekend if we want so we don't have to take them home every night. Unfortunately it's been pretty gusty so far and the powerboats really have everything churned up so it's not been so much fun. Supposed to be 10-15mph all weekend here but it's been more like 25mph with occasional 10-15mph lulls. Definitely not learning weather and my crew has very little wire experience so I've been on the beach a lot. If it doesn't calm down some today I'm just gonna trailer it and come home I think.

I have had some good times riding other peoples boats this weekend though. The guys that came solo and realize they need another body on the wire are glad to have me with them. :)
  • The G-Cat 5.0 cleaned up really good, everything coming together nicely, 6 coats of Poliglow on both hulls and both rudders, the rudder setup is so elegant in its simplicity, dunno why other cats don't copy it. Ordered a new main tramp from Slo Sails, blue to match the blue decals, measured out the forestay and it looks like I will be able to use my old H16 furler setup on the G-Cat, will post pics on that when its done.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…2969a14ff2715a1ee2fc08a4

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • turbohoboThe G-Cat 5.0 cleaned up really good, everything coming together nicely, 6 coats of Poliglow on both hulls and both rudders, the rudder setup is so elegant in its simplicity, dunno why other cats don't copy it. Ordered a new main tramp from Slo Sails, blue to match the blue decals, measured out the forestay and it looks like I will be able to use my old H16 furler setup on the G-Cat, will post pics on that when its done.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…2969a14ff2715a1ee2fc08a4

Don't think the furler will work on the G-Cat unless you cut down the sail. The front clew of the jib connects directly to the eye on the front spar, not the bridle. The foot of the jib rides just a few inches above the front tramp while sailing. I can take some pictures of mine next time I'm out. It's supposed to be raining all weekend here so probably will be a next weekend.
  • I have a furling jib with that setup, it's slightly smaller than the standard jib, the clew does not extend past the mast, and the wire in the jib luff is attached to the jib using grommet-style shackles, so I should have no problems.........hopefully.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Well, here's a video I found of Hans sailing a G-Cat 5.0 and you can make out some of the rigging and a brief flash of the bridle and jib setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4A_r3dT0Ks

Edited by kraven on May 31, 2012 - 11:15 AM.
  • Kraven, found the drain plugs at West Marine like you advised, will have them by Friday, Ronstan plugs. Do you have a pic of how all the shrouds and trap wires attach to the mast hound? pic in manual is very blurry.

Thanks
    Turbo

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Have mine disassembled at the moment but it's just a single large stainless steel turnbuckle through the mast hound. Cable order is shroud, trap, trap, forestay, trap, trap, shroud.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.