Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New Sailor needs help with Mast Rake  Bottom

• Hello all, I am new to the sport and hobby of beachcat sailing. I picked up my first cat, it is a 1980 G-Cat 5.0 the previous owner had his own ideas of how to rig the boat and make repairs. I will be rehabbing almost the entire boat and have a question on the proper rake for the mast. After stepping the mast for the fist time the forestay was to 12" to short to attach to the front crossmember and the mast rake was tremendous. It also appears as thought the mast was cut down from the base about 1"-2", I can rerig to accomadate new dimensions but i do not know the recommended rake for this boat, any information would be very helpful, thank you. Dustin
  • The forestay should attach to a bridle and the eyestrap on the front beam is to attach the tack of the jib....thats how our 5.0 is setup anyway....hope it helps
  • On a g-cat with no daggerboards you probably want a little mast rake, the top of the mast should probably be a foot or two behind the front beam (any g-cat owners with more of an idea?). So you can probably take some fo the rake out of the mast and get the forestay to hook on correctly (just make sure it isn't canted forward!!).

The forestay should attach to the bridle foil using a 10 hole adjuster to allow you to rake the mast. If you need more length for the forestay you can attach a second 10 hole adjuster above the first. The shrouds should each have an 8-10 hole adjuster to attach to the hulls.

A 2" shortening of the mast shouldn't affect much.

A couple of pics would help us help you. Make up a personal album on the site and point us in the right direction.

Regards,
    Dave

Edited by Wolfman on May 25, 2011 - 02:00 PM.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Flatline - I have seen many pictures of the 5.0 with the forestay attached to bridles, however the manual that came with the boat (which is very tattered) makes no reference to bridle installation or installation of bridle attachments to the hull. It does say to attach jib to the forestay and shows the jib almost in contact with the front cross member. Clearly there must have been a few mods during the early and short production of this model boat. Thank you for the feedback i will have to make a decision on how I will end up rigging but despite the manual i may go with the bridle method. Thanks again

Wolfman - Thanks for the input, i think i will go with the bridle installation method, the shrouds are attached with 10 hole adjusters but still seems they are short. Once i fit the new hulls i have been looking at i will begin the new rigging and post some pictures. Would it be okay to fit the shrouds with two 10 hole adjusters as you mentioned with the forestay or would that not be ideal? Thanks again Dustin
  • The G-Cat 5.0 assembly manual can be found on this site. Look in 'catamaran identification' then follow the links. The 5.0 forestay attaches to the bridle with a length of 3/8ths line, yes, primitive. You can substitute shackles and an adjuster.

G-Cats use little or no mast rake. The helm will be perfectly balanced. I uploaded a bunch of G-Cat stuff to the 'identification' area, look at the 5.7 stuff as well, the 5.0 and 5.7 are very similar. Even the line drawings show a plumb mast.

Have fun, the G-Cats are easy to rig and easier to sail. Great boats.

--
    'life is too short to drink cheap beer'
    --
  • Dustin,
    I've never seen 2 adjusters on the shrouds but as a short term measure I don't see why not, the adjusters are stronger than the wires themselves. It could concievalby cause problems in the long term because the adjusters could experience twisting forces, but likely not a problem.

Once you get the mast in the right place (little or no rake) I would measure for new rigging and have it made up so that you only need a single adjuster at the shrouds and the bridle.

Looking at the assembly manual here: http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=77824 it looks like you may be missing the bridle wires that go from the hulls to the forestay, you shouldn't be attaching the forestay directly to the cross member. That actually would explain why things aren't fitting right.

It also shows that instead of a forestay adjuster they recommend a 3/8" line with multiple cascades (wraps) around the bride and forestay shackles or rings. That is called a Portuguese turnbuckle and a lot of people prefer it to using an adjuster on the forestay because it is simple to rig and easy to adjust. I haven't gone that route myself but if I ever find someone to show my how to do it in person I may switch also.

Cool boat by the way. Lots of hull volume and a front tramp! Should be a blast to sail.

Edited by Wolfman on May 25, 2011 - 09:13 PM.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • FYI - Hans Geisler is a local sailor buddy down here (founder of G-cat). He uses the aformentioned "primitive" Portugese turnbuckle on his forestay. So do I :) G-cat masts like to be run fairly straight up and down (90 degrees to the decks), slightly raked back in higher winds.
  • The bridle wires attach to each end of your front beam, the other end of these wires join together using a bell shackle, attach the 10 hole stay adjuster to the bell shackle at the shackle pin. Your forestay would then connect to the 10 hole stay adjuster at any one of the 10 holes to tighten/loosen your rig. Check out the following link, it is a H16 forestay but would be the same setup for your cat, was the best pic I could find for you.

http://www.cfycc.com/docu…hobie_rigging_basics.pdf

check out the 4th pic, hope this helps

Turbo
  • havliiiThe G-Cat 5.0 assembly manual can be found on this site. Look in 'catamaran identification' then follow the links. I uploaded a bunch of G-Cat stuff to the 'identification' area, look at the 5.7 stuff as well, the 5.0 and 5.7 are very similar. Even the line drawings show a plumb mast.

Where is the 'catamaran identification' area? Link please? Thanks :)

--
    1984 AMF Trac 16, First year of sailing, Central California
    --
  • http://www.thebeachcats.c…5dcee182387278937dac6804

Catamaran ID is in one of the photo albums at the top of the page.

Edited by skarr1 on May 26, 2011 - 12:45 PM.
  • skarr1http://www.thebeachcats.c…5dcee182387278937dac6804

Catamaran ID is in one of the photo albums at the top of the page.Edited by skarr1 on May 26, 2011 - 12:45 PM.

Thanks!

--
    --
  • aaronhall555

Click on the Photo Albums tab at the top of the page, in the drop down list is "Catamaran Identification"

Direct link
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…res&type=&g2_itemId=3120

This is where I like to collect pictures of each beachcat ever made, especially the obscure ones. If anyone has pictures or brochures that are not in there (or has better ones) please add to the approcpriate album or make a new album with the model name of the beachcat.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • damonAdmin
    aaronhall555

Click on the Photo Albums tab at the top of the page, in the drop down list is "Catamaran Identification"

Direct link
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…res&type=&g2_itemId=3120

This is where I like to collect pictures of each beachcat ever made, especially the obscure ones. If anyone has pictures or brochures that are not in there (or has better ones) please add to the approcpriate album or make a new album with the model name of the beachcat.

Thanks, again!
    I noticed there's no Trac 16, only the Trac 18. I'll have to take some pictures of my cat to put in there. icon_smile

--
    --
  • Thank you everyone for your input, I will be starting my project this week. I will be sure to post pictures.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.