Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Catamaran ID - Anyone care to take a stab at this one.  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Hw3HmvOS3UY/T6QgHL2gHrI/AAAAAAAAAlg/2T-7KBBmsbQ/s800/IMG_20120504_142736.jpg

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • Really old school A-Class looking.
  • No idea, any more info than the picture? Where was the picture taken? what are those connector/things on the decks in front of the beams? The Beachcat Detectives will get right on this I'm sure.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • No idea but it looks cool!

--
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marc C.
    Cleveland, Ohio.
    Current love: Nacra 5.0
    Old loves: Int Laser, Int Europe, Int 470, Int 420, Vaurien
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    --
  • i think its some kind of a uk dart 18

http://www.dart18.com/doc…echTalk/manual/page1.gif

--
    Angelo
    1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
    2008 laser 4.7/radial #190471
    SARASOTA, FLORIDA
    S.S.S
    S.Y.S.P
    --
  • Just noticed it has a curved main traveler track. Any beachcats besides A-Class have those?

Still wondering what those deck fittings ahead of the beam could be. I was thinking maybe wing mounts, they look really substantially build.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • From this picture, the beams on the dart are tear dropped like the prindles.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=25415&g2_serialNumber=4

The main travler is A cat'ish but don't know of an A that was a skeg boat.

Not a Nacra 5.7, bow is wrong and travler and the way the beam is seated in the hull.

Looks like a uni with an old style spin or hooter. I'm with Damon, what is that in front of the the main beam?

Any measurements, length, width, mast height?

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Squares have the curved traveler.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Not a Dart 18, there is one down the lake form me, they have front beam mounts that wrap smoothly around the beam. Sea Spray have a mount like that, but I think they were only built as 15 footers. The Dart does not have vertical bows, Rons photo above shows the shear at the bows.
    Ron...are those dagger trunks? It looks like skeg hulls, but there appear to be trunks on each hull.
    Those fittings forward of the beam appear to be laid on top of the hull, then attached. Maybe a mod that was done to accommodate a forward net or tramp?

Edited by Edchris177 on May 07, 2012 - 06:10 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177/Ron...are those dagger trunks? It looks like skeg hulls, but there appear to be trunks on each hull.

I saw that too but they sure are short, back to front. I'm thinking older skeg boat from what you can see from the spin pole but the mast looks more modern, carbon fiber, wing mast.

Would like a pic of the mast post, and base.

To the OP any serial number on the stern?

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • This was taken at the mug race at the start in palatka, the gentleman did quite well and is a really experienced sailor. the boat is actually made of marine plywood, limited production run of 40 and he thought this was the last one. it was designed by Cal Fuller. that is all the hints i have without giving the answer. i think he said it was 20 feet long. he was in the mhsc.

Edited by klppurdy on May 08, 2012 - 06:50 AM.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • Quotewhat are those connector/things on the decks in front of the beams?

my GUESS is those are there to help the spin sheet not get caught/tangled in the front beams durring a gybe or durring snuffing
  • I doubt that they are line antifouling devices. If you notice, the fixture wraps the entire deck and down each side of the hull, pretty significant attachment. The end appears to be slotted with attachment holes in the ends. With all that said, I still don't have a clue what they are for, unless they are for a spinnaker pole attachment point like you might use on a monohull. Thats my WAG (WILD ASS GUESS)
  • http://www.lakehopatcongn…13:local-news&Itemid=461
    A-Cat. What did Headhunter and I win?

--
    Philip
    --
  • I sat there and looked at em for 5 minutes. And finally an answer came to me, barber hauler. It might be a barber hauler attachment point for the jib and chute. Well that's my WAG.

--
    ALLEY CAT 1984 RED LINE HOBIE 18 MAGNUM
    Sail # 10505 or 277
    San Diego, Ca
    --
  • well done headhunter and mummp, no prize, only satisfaction.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • http://www.lakehopatcongnews.com/images/Cal_Fuller_-_501.jpg

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • mummphttp://www.lakehopatcongn…13:local-news&Itemid=461

That's a great story, I enjoy reading about the early builders.

Ken, do you know what the deck fixture is for? After examining it as close as possible and seeing how substantial it appears, I think it could even be an attachment point for a kite. There have been a lot of experiments running kite sails on catamarans.

Do you know what it's for Ken?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • i don't know damon, but i think i can get a hold of the gentlemen. i will see what i can find out.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • klppurdywell done headhunter and mummp, no prize, only satisfaction.

The first picture its deceiving, I thought had it had skegs too for a couple minutes. Then realized the ass end was just elevated from the ground. There was a guy, Bob Kruger, in the Chesapeake in the early 70's making A-class cats the same way...4mm marine ply wrapped around bulkheads and tied with copper wire at the bottom, then glassed over. When Bob needed to make modifications to the hull shape, he'd break out the chain saw.

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.