Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

jib sail zipper  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• my jib is missing the first two teeth of the zipper, so even if I could get the zipper pulled, I would think that the wind could pull the zipper apart enough to cause me more trouble than I could possibly handle--- so the question is: Has anyone had the zipper replaced on a P18-2 or P19 jib-- did you go to a loft? an upholstry shop or just replace the jib outright? What was the expense of that action?

--
    Frank Underwood (Hey FU!)
    1993 Prindle 19 'Barefootin'
    Bay St. Louis, MS [the other St. Louis]
    --
  • A few missing teeth will not matter much. I would sail it until you have to change the zipper. If you still have a concern, put a fabric strap that you can snap at that portion of sail where the teeth are missing. Good sail lofts normally put one on a new zipper luff jib. The normal cost from a good sail loft is approx $120. I never hold the zipper and raise the sail, that is one way to loose teeth. I raise the sail afew feet at a time pulling the zipper down after each time.
  • as above

my nacra 5.2 jib zip has missing teeth and loose zipper foot?

so i have to rig it very carefully

when it fails i'll sail uni until i can take it overseas to get fixed

but for the last 5 years it has held together

the great thing about the zip luff design is it spreads the load along the entire luff, so it tolerates weak parts much better than a hank-on
  • thanks for the input- all of this is new to me, and wondered what was the course taken by others; I plan to hone my skills under the main for a while and then see if I can get the zipper going to rig the jib and give it a go; I had fears that the zipper would act like my suitcase zipper-- but the sail probably won't ever see the TSA

--
    Frank Underwood (Hey FU!)
    1993 Prindle 19 'Barefootin'
    Bay St. Louis, MS [the other St. Louis]
    --
  • Had a zipper replaced several years ago by Schurr Sails in Pensacola, about $50.

http://www.schurrsails.com/contact.html

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Quoteput a fabric strap that you can snap at that portion of sail where the teeth are missing. Good sail lofts normally put one on a new zipper luff jib

that's what i did...upholstry shop can do it, minimum charge. works fine, i won't replace the zipper until the zipper totaly craps out.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • $120 is a rip-off for P-16 zipper. Send your jib in a large U.S. Postal box ($15.45) to Simon Jakeman,3661 Camino Del Rio South, San Diego, Ca. 92108. Jake (619-358-0055) will replace zipper for $50 & return in couple days for total of $80.90. Pete
  • Got to love California guys. Got the deals. Thx Pete.. Got a N52 that needs one. Or at least a minor repair.. Have not heard from that friend that needs a N5.2 mast.. News at 11 on that. Do you sail in N. Calif at all. Going to be a rather large turn out at the Wet and Wild at Woodward this month. I am taking a H 17 for my first try with a 17. Also taking some zin and cab from my winery. (sorry Bill No chicks and bruskies) Forcast is for 9 to 16s. Be great to meet you.. Cheers Hal

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • He indicated that it is a P-19 not a P-16, just a little larger. I have seen some cheaper quality zippers used for replacements for less but I am not sure how long they last. The thing that I did notice was that the fabric was much thinner and the teeth were smaller in the cheaper ones. Just ask about the quality of the zipper used for the replacement. The so called Amish tramps are also cheaper but the ones used for replacements on our beach barely lasted for a year before the thread rotted away from the much thinner material. You truly do get what you pay for,
    pbegle$120 is a rip-off for P-16 zipper. Send your jib in a large U.S. Postal box ($15.45) to Simon Jakeman,3661 Camino Del Rio South, San Diego, Ca. 92108. Jake (619-358-0055) will replace zipper for $50 & return in couple days for total of $80.90. Pete
  • My local loft charged me $160 for a zipper replacement ( missing teeth and the pull) new grommet/ battens restitch & patch the batten pockets and restitch any other issues all around. I couldn't be happier with the work and its a beefy YKK zipper like the ones used on a convertible. It may be a few bucks higher but so is everything in NJ plus he had an original prindle style batten 12 foot he sold me for $22 that alone was worth the trip/

--
    Bob Miller
    1983 P16 Sail # 7312
    "Miller Time" A work in progress; out of the water for 16 years
    Barnegat Bay NJ
    Beach Cat Lesson #1 - A free cat isn't
    Find more Prindles on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/173120656090532/
    --
  • I had a H18 jib with some messed up teeth and took it to a sail loft and got a estimate of $160 to repair and an offer to make me a new jib. I took it to a local cover shop and got it repaired for $25 and never had another problem. These guys make a product that was recommended to me as well. I ordered the kit but didn't end up using it. I keep it in my tackle box now just in case.

http://www.zipperrescue.com/index.html

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • I had mine replaced last summer. Dabney Sails Loft in Mobile did it for $120. It took a while though. Shurr Sails in Pensacola quoted me $100. I would replace, makes rigging just that less stressful on the beach.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Don't need so stinking badges err.... zipper. My jib doesn't have a zipper. It has a cable in the luff(?). The only problem I see with this setup is trying to figure out how to stow the sail. Can't fold the cable inside the jib so what is a guy to do?
  • Roll it with the main?

--
    Bob Miller
    1983 P16 Sail # 7312
    "Miller Time" A work in progress; out of the water for 16 years
    Barnegat Bay NJ
    Beach Cat Lesson #1 - A free cat isn't
    Find more Prindles on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/173120656090532/
    --
  • For what it's worth, I replaced the Zipper on my H-18 jib with one I purchased from Beacon Fabrics in Florida for $19 http://www.beaconfabric.com/vindex.html?cat160.htm. I purchased their 186" zipper item#090583 (described as "Primarily used to zip sails to headstays on small Catamarans") and their special UV resistant thread part#090015). I received the zipper in the mail 3 or 4 days after placing my order and took everything to a local seamstress. In total, it ran me about $55 to replace the zipper and have the new one sewn on. Fits and works perfectly. Highly recommended.

Edited by BrianCT on May 03, 2012 - 03:37 PM.
  • bobcatnjRoll it with the main?
    That would be a rather tight roll and would likely put a state of memory on the cable if left for a long time like winter and cause it to try to un-twist, This is just my opinion gathered from using cable chokers rigging for steel erection in my former life.
  • Roll it with the main an the end of the roll. The roll is biger and the steel flex has never taken a set for me.. Sides (Eh Bill. that a new one) you want the jibe to come out first cuz it rigs first. Hal

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • So far I have just kinda rolled/coiled it up in about a 20 inch coil/circle but I don't kow how good that will travel. And the main is still folded up on an old couch., I know I'll need to make different arraignments once I get some battens for the main. Do most of y'all just roll the main up over the boom? Maybe a loose spiral coil for the jib once I get everything together will work and then make a carrying bag for it all?
  • dtfuquaDon't need so stinking badges err.... zipper. My jib doesn't have a zipper. It has a cable in the luff(?). The only problem I see with this setup is trying to figure out how to stow the sail. Can't fold the cable inside the jib so what is a guy to do?

dtfuqua,

I don't want to pick on you but your post is a good example of why I recommend putting your name/boat/location in your signature.

Since I don't know what kind of boat you have it's hard to answer your question.

Thanks,

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Bill, you are not invited to the zin and cab tasting in southern california. Read between the lines you big tough guy. And also, don't forget that there will be no chicks, Bill. So yeah, haeh no chicks.

--
    Hank, Hattiesburg, Mississippi, P16 - "Sideways"
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.