Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Setting up telo-cat  Bottom

• Just getting ready to mount my new telo-cat and was wondering if someone could weigh in and tell
    me what angle they set the vanes at and why.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • where do you sail in castleton, my family is from there, my great grandfather lived on 74 green street and my grandfathers sister was married to doug hudson.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • pknapp66Just getting ready to mount my new telo-cat and was wondering if someone could weigh in and tell
    me what angle they set the vanes at and why.

Peter, Are you referring to the indicator wands? My understanding is fastest speeds are generally achieved sailing 90 degrees apparent wind. Example: When sailing downwind, rather than sailing in a straight line with the wind pushing directly behind you, you're better off "zig zaging" on a course where your vane is pointed at a 90 degree angle relative to your hulls. I have an old telocat vane I plan to use this summer, but the angle indicator wands are long gone. I'm just going to eyeball it.
  • Peter,
    We're dealing with my memory so ... your mileage may vary. The little arms have two positions, about 60 degrees (too narrow for fast boats) and a wider one about 90 degrees. That's the one you want.

Sail upwind near enough with the vane aligned with the arm. And, as Brian says, sail downwind with the vane straight sideways or maybe just a touch forward. This will mean you'll sail about 45 degrees to the wind going downhill in light air and down around 25 degrees to the wind when it's honking and you're scared sh##less.

I used to cut the mounting arm down shorter since I thought it was too long and make sure you cut a safety notch for the mounting clamp to drop into. I used to drill a small hole through the top of the mounting arm and put a ring ding in there. These things are expensive and you don't want to have on drop into the drink.

Have a Hobie (or a Prindle) day.

Charles
  • klppurdywhere do you sail in castleton, my family is from there, my great grandfather lived on 74 green street and my grandfathers sister was married to doug hudson.

Small world. We leave a boat there and mostly sail on the Great Sacandaga. I live just miles from a launch on the Hudson River so this year I will try sailing one of the smaller boats there.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    --
  • Brian and Charles thanks for the info. I thought that 90 degrees was the magic number. Now that I am
    putting the vanes on I realize that in the 90 degree position the vanes are not 90 to the hulls. Charles the
    arm comes drilled with the ring ding installed.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.