Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What the heck is this?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• It is owned by a Gentleman in his 80's.
    I'm on a road trip right now, to bring a Nacra 5.0 to my stable...Nacraman can't be the only sailor with a 5.7 & 5.0 icon_smile
    I will post photos of this mystery Cat when I return.
    Damon, do you know where AquaCat placed their HIN, or any other positive identifiers? Were they on the transoms, or engraved on the frame, ala early Hobie?
    If I can get the sail stretched out, & it is the original sail, there should be identifiers on it.
    I'll also put a tape to the boat to find out the real size.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • The sterns would be the standard place, but some of the oldest boats had plates or etched numbers in the metal parts. I'll be looking forward to your report.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Those are definitely Aqua cat rudder castings, I've welded and replaced a couple of those in the recent past (don't laugh but my first cat was a aqua cat, it was cheap and a good learner) The Rudder castings will say aqua cat on them. I don't remember a hull id on the older heavier hulls that look very similar to these but I’m sure there was something somewhere. And I’m pretty sure that the newer 198x + hulls have a hull id on the transom. I didn’t pay much attention to that stuff back then but I did do quite a bit of glass work and paint on a older style aqua cat though.
    I never saw anything about a 20 footer in my research but maybe it was a prototype or something, before they decided to make the hulls smaller and lighter so that it can be carried “car top”.
    I put a lot of things on my roof rack, but not a cat….yet.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • It is in fact an Aqua Cat, kudos to those who voted for that. The boat is basically an 18 footer, mid 70's vintage according to the owner. I could not find any VIN # or markings anywhere on the hull, beams or castings. It is NOT 20', even counting the rudders. The castings had a number in the form of xx-xxa-xx, however the digits could not be interpreted as a year.
    I never got to see the sail due to time constraints.
    The rudders are solid cast aluminum, very thin. It utilizes daggers that pivot up into the hulls, much like the Hobie 17 system. You can see the rigging in a couple of the photos.
    The sheeting system is very simple, the line runs around the winch, then held. If I understood the owner correctly, you ran a couple of turns around the drum, then head up a bit as you pulled in line, then lay off to desired heading.
    The elderly gentleman who owns it has had it for 25 years, he knew the owner of the company that built them, & brought it home from Florida. He said it was "a very fast sailboat", & very stable, claimed he never flipped it in over 20 years.
    We shouldn't slag them to badly, it would be better than not sailing, & an AquaCat was the first Catamaran that Hobie Alter had contact with.
    http://sailboatdata.com/v…uilder.asp?builder_id=26
    I don't know if
    I can add photos to the album Damon created, if not I'll send them & he can add them.

PS it was a helluva-lotta-driving...but we now have a Nacra 5.0 on the dock, beside the 5.7
    My wife thought, "wouldn't it have been easier to just buy that little boat thingy(an beat H14)across the bay, than to drive all the way to Chicago"?
    Girls sometimes fail to appreciate two words. Road Trip.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177I don't know if
    I can add photos to the album Damon created, if not I'll send them & he can add them.

Thanks Ed! Great that you were able to see it in person and get the scoop. So it's a pretty rare boat since evidently the Aqua Cat 18 didn't actually go into production.

You can add a new album inside the album I made and you will be able to upload photos and descriptions to that. Just upload the photos, then use the "Edit Captions" link to change all the titles and descriptions you want afterwards.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.