Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What the heck is this?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Just trolling through ads, wasting time here in Hongkong. Came across this, looks like it would be a dry ride, though not much chance of selling it at that price.
    http://ontario.kijiji.ca/…maran-W0QQAdIdZ368911887

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • ACK!! Ugly is what it is.

Looks like someone saw an Aquacat and thought they could improve on it.
  • With iron plumbing!

What has me scratching my head is the ball for the mast step. Is it on the rear beam the way it looks like it is? I'd love to see the rig on this thing, 'cause I can't envision a way to sheet the sail if the entire thing is hanging off the back over the rudders.

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • benedictWhat has me scratching my head is the ball for the mast step. Is it on the rear beam the way it looks like it is? I'd love to see the rig on this thing, 'cause I can't envision a way to sheet the sail if the entire thing is hanging off the back over the rudders.

Obviously it is ketch rigged. icon_lol
    Damon likes to refer to these creations as Catzillas or Frankencats.
    Seems appropriate.

Tell me how lousy the weather is on the Big Island...

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Hahahaha! Oh man, I'm almost interested enough to ask the seller for photos of it under sail just to see what a ketch-rigged cat looks like! (Almost...)

The weather has been good for sailing, but terrible for working on a boat. I live up around 2400' of altitude, right at the base of Kohala Mountain. For the past three weeks it's been like a cross between a wind tunnel and a shower stall. I've got a bunch of rivet holes I need to fill with epoxy, but it's just too wet outside to pull it off.

Down at the water it's been 10-15kts and sunshiny. Makes me cry. Almost makes me cry hard enough to try that ketch-rigged cat, just to say I got out on the water! (Almost...)

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    --
  • I'd love to see that thing in person. A 20 footer in the 70's would be pretty unusual. It appears to have an a-frame mast system. Could be just for raising the mast or like an Aqua-cat, or even a crab-claw type sail.

Can anyone local go talk to the seller?

Just when you think you've seen them all...

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • It looks like the mast mounts on the center of the bow cross beam with a pin. The A frame must be in place of shrouds. I imagine the mast is raked way back. Bizarre.

--
    John Fricker
    Prindle 16
    Seabrook, Texas
    --
  • OMGosh!!!!!!!!!!!

If you look really closely at the picture, that object on the rear crossbeam is not a mast step!

IT"S A WINCH!

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/…maran-W0QQAdIdZ368911887

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Can you imagine gybing and having to stay back there amidship wrapping the main sheet around the winch in the correct direction? Or worse, the traveler!

Craziness. What we they thinking?

Edited by klozhald on Apr 20, 2012 - 03:45 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I would love to see this thing fully rigged including the sail. What's cooler is the fact that this is surely part of a production run and not a one of a kind project. I say this because of what appear to be eight fairly elegant aluminum castings holding up the tramp platform. Lot of trouble to create a casting for one boat.

klozhaldOMGosh!!!!!!!!!!!

If you look really closely at the picture, that object on the rear crossbeam is not a mast step!

IT"S A WINCH!

Also, just under the rear beam where that winch is it appears there is a wooden block that looks like an outboard motor mount to me. Probably needed it to get upwind!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Since the Ontario Kizizi ad might disappear at any time I've added the boat to the "Unknown Beachcats" album here.

http://thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=84487

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Ok I may have cheated, but I just sent the seller a note asking him about his boat. I'll let you know if he responds.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • OK, I just got back home, & looked at this again, without the sleep deprivation of a Hongkong flite. Look at photo #2, the fitting on the end of the mast, it isn't a ball, but a slot. It fits not onto the main beam, but that fitting in the middle of the bar that ties the bows together. You can just see it beside the blue vertical post the mast is stored on.
    The mast would be pinned in place, but left horizontal. Then theV brace would be pivoted upwards, then mast raised & the two connected. Look at photo #3. The V brace is permanently attached, & pivots upwards.
    There is a winch drum in the middle of the rear beam, & it appears there are cleats attached at rear corner of the tramp.
    The good news is I think I bought a Nacra 5.0. It is near Chicago, this weird Cat is near Detroit, just south of highway 401. I will have to drive past it on the way. It seems worth a detour for posterity & photos. I'll get some intel & post it.

Edited by Edchris177 on Apr 21, 2012 - 08:03 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I agree with Damon. It IS possible to roll your own castings (I know a bunch of people who do green sand casting of aluminum). But it's highly unlikely. For a one-off boat, it would be cheaper and easier to machine the parts out of plate.

So please do take pictures when you swing by, Edchris. May not have another chance to get photos of this thing!

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    --
  • that is one ugly hunk of shit. I'd rather sail the box my mystere came in.
  • ... and priced to /sell/ at 2200.

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --
  • OK, after careful consideration, I believe it is a prototype 18 foot Aqua Cat that measures 20 feet when the rudders are extended.

What do I win?

If I Had a dime for every time someone addvertised a Hobie 16 and it was really a Hobie 14 with the ruders included in the length...
  • Dan I think you are on to something. Compare these two shots, the first is a modern production Aqua 14, the second is the mystery boat. The rudder system and the A-Frame geometry are too close for coincidence.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=86494&g2_serialNumber=3

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=84493&g2_serialNumber=3

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • And this other thread may have found another set of these hulls with slightly different tramp platform connectors.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/13394

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Ok, I heard back from the seller. They are selling it for a family member so they dont know many specifics about the boat. But it is an Aqua Cat. I asked if the 20' spec was the hulls only or with the rudders included. Their reply was they "thought the hulls were 20' ". So that part remains uncertain and I didnt want to bother them beyond my two emails.

Prize to Mr. DanBerger for the first correct guess.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • David did they say what made them think it was an Aqua Cat? Logos or something printed on the boat?

I ask because I contacted AquaCat and sent them links to the "mystery 20 footer" pictures and they said

"There was an 18 footer made but very very few before American Fiberglass went under. Not sure what you are looking at, definitely not an AquaCat."

So I made sure they actually looked at the pictures, then asked if they had pictures of the AquaCat 18 I could see. Answer was:

"sorry but no, don't have anyting on that one."

So I'm not sure how "Chris from AquaCat" knows for sure that isn't an AquaCat if he hasn't seen the elusive AquaCat 18.

We need to start a reality tv show, "Beachcat Detectives", I'll pitch it to the Discovery Network.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.