Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sailing a Hobie 16 Long Beach to Catalina  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• sailshaddThanks mattson!

That's the stuff I was looking for!!! not someone to " Save my Life" even though the advice that was giving, just might.
    My intent was not to demean anyone else's sailing advice or opinion, rather to gain insight about a trip I have not done before. I will not go into detail about my sailing background, and exspose myself to that minefield, but suffice to say I have a 34 yrs. nautical history raging from racing Laser's to a 14 mo. liveaboard cruise with my wife and 2 sons, and still know I can learn something from everybody.
    That's one problem with an internet forum, when you ask a general question, you get what you asked for, and sometimes more than you aked for.
    I must say your list is quite extensive, but very comprehensive, I had thought of most of the items....but I will admit, not all. As with most sailing adventures, weather is the most important call. Is there a specific weather pattern that you look for or stay away from? Assuming you stay away from deep lows, but perhaps a weak low would give you a favorable south wind, or is a post frontal north flow is better? or just a big friendly high?

Thanks for eveyones input, I appreciate anyones construtive advice on how to make my solo trip more safe, and enjoyable.

Blue Skies, Blue Seas,

Shaddo

Sounds like you are an experienced sailor who will make qualified decisions.

As for that list, it has grown since our first attempt. I think we started with one radio, a GPS, and some flares. The SPOT locator is great for your loved ones to follow your progress. The big downside to these adventures is knowing your family is worried about you. The SPOT takes some of that edge off.

As for weather patterns, I don't put much analysis into them, but rather just go to the NOAA site, check out the forecast, and read the forecast discussion to see what the experts are saying. A big friendly high can sometimes mean no wind. Sometimes. Here is a collection of links for you, in case you don't have them already:

http://www.catsail.com/

The first one under "marine weather" was the one I just referenced.

Also, below is a short movie of our approach to Santa Cruz back in September. It took us 9 hours to get to this point, and the wind FINALLY come up right at the end of the day. The 9 knots of boat speed is significant to us in the video. The boat was a dog going to weather with all the gear on it, and it was our fastest speed to that point. Also, we were considering bailing to the East end at Scorpion (an inferior landing) unless we got at least 9 knots of wind in which case we thought we could reach Pelican Bay before darkness. We still made Pelican, just miscalculated the light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMXbs8vglHo

Bill

Edited by mattson on Apr 16, 2012 - 08:18 PM.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • mattson/Bill,
    Awesome, informative write up! I overlooked this thread two or three times because I didn't think that it would apply to me since I live in Michigan. Boy was I wrong, that info will definitely prove helpful when I prepare to go out on Lake Michigan.
    Much appreciated!

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • A couple more items:

A tow line.
    An anchor.

I've never put together an official list for a channel crossing online as it's a trip I would not reccomend to anyone. In this case, this is entirely Shaddo's project, and I consider myself just one of many information sources he'll use to help pull it off.

Bill

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.