Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sailing a Hobie 16 Long Beach to Catalina  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I'm thinking of sailing my Hobie 16 from Long Beach to Catalina, solo, and camping at Two Harbors. Has anyone in the forum made this trip on a small cat?
    What was your experience like?
    What were the unexpected issues?
    Any constructive advice?

Thanks for your input.

Shaddo
  • I would make sure you have other boats with you

--
    85 Prindle 16
    "If you aint the lead dog the view never changes"
    North Carolina
    --
  • I don't want to predicate my trip on the assumption that others would have to go. Assuming a good weather window( I would'nt go unless there was one) this should be a fairly popular route during a summer weekend. Having the proper safety gear onboard, VHF, sailing harness, gps, maps, compass, a float plan etc,etc, I want be confident doing the trip solo, at least that's my desire. I understand the " safety in numbers philosophy", but I want to do a trip like this solo, that's the focus.

Shaddo
  • so why ask? you seem to know what you want to do and what you want to take and when you want to go.. Bon Voyage

--
    85 Prindle 16
    North Carolina
    --
  • .....just trying to aquire all the information I can?.....wow! tuff crowd. icon_rolleyes

Shaddo
  • No not a tough crowd. I have never done this on a beach cat. There is a lot of information here on beachcats.

Look up Buzz or Ron Waterstreet, Alan Thompson, Bill Matson, and a few others as they have some very detailed accounts on this very topic..

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Thanks! icon_cool
  • I read a few journals of trips to some of the CA Islands.
    Here is one http://www.thebeachcats.c…/wwwcatsail/feature1.htm
    I think if you hunt around the archives there, & Catsailor, you can find some of the articles JohnES alluded to.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • NOt being a tuff crowd - having sailed and powerboated to catalina many times, I know how fast the weather can change and having other boats with you when you are sailing a fragile (relatively speaking) 16 foot boat in open ocean where a slight haze can make a landmass dissapear in front of your eyes, makes alot of sense. Dont be so quick to discount others experience

--
    85 Prindle 16
    North Carolina
    --
  • Being a tuff crowd and keeping someone alive today is the same thing. I took it as common sense, not to insult someones sailing ability.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • It looked like common sense to me, too.

And no reason not to solo. Just do it with other boats around. Shouldn't even have to plan around this. If there's a good weather window, chances are you'll see other boats on the water. Catalina is what, 25 miles from Long Beach? At the midway mark a 5W VHF won't reach either shore. But it'll reach a nearby boat. Soloing is fine. But having boats close enough to see you dismast or hear a call for help is just prudent.

And if it's a good weather window and you don't see other boats on the water, you have to ask yourself why. My first sailing experience was off the New Jersey coast. We knocked around a bay for a while, and finally anchored off a popular beach. Good waves, good sun, but NO ONE was in the water. I thought, "What's wrong with these people?" and jumped in.

About ten minutes later I was excruciatingly aware of why no one was in the water. The place was overrun by jellyfish. They were spawning or something. People stared, they pointed, but they had the good grace not to laugh at me.

Speaking of jellyfish, here's another story: Years ago I wanted to sail in the Rough Ryder Regatta in Texas. It's 150 miles up the Intercoastal Waterway from Port Isabel to Corpus Christi. One of the pieces of advice I was given: Lock down, tie down, WELD down your rudder blades. This ran counter to everything I thought I knew about rudders. So I asked. The Intercoastal Waterway is so full of jellyfish along that stretch, you hit one every couple of minutes. If your blades aren't locked down, they'll keep kicking up.

I never would've found that out if I hadn't asked people who had been there and done that. It was sound advice.

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • EdChris177, Great story recounted by Gary (and Alan. But the story I have not heard yet is how Gary lost his Mystere 20 out in the channel. Pete
  • I've been beachcat sailing to the Channel Islands for about 10 years. The majority of the trips have been to Santa Cruz Island, and I think I've hit about every land-able beach with trips originating from both Ventura and Santa Barbara. Also a couple of trips to Santa Rosa island, and one unsuccessful attempt from Santa Rosa to San Miguel. Finally, if memory serves, I've done three trips to Catalina. I've never attempted to doing a solo trip.

The fact that you are looking for advice reveals that you are taking this endeavor seriously. It is an aggressive undertaking. I have no idea what your experience and skill level is, offer the following for your information only, and do not mean to either discourage or condone your trip.

All that being said, here is some stuff off the top of my head, in no particular order...

The majority of the trips I've taken have been on Gary Friesen's late, great Mystere 6 meter "Whisk". The last few years, I've been doing them on my Hobie 18. The Mystere was a truck compared to the Hobie in that it had way more carrying capacity. The Hobie 18 is a dog with a 2 man crew, camping gear, and a 4 day supply of food, beverage, supplies. Still both boats have considerably more bow buoyancy than the Hobie 16.

Your main focus should be keeping the weight down. If you are going solo, you've already shed 100+ lbs. Also, with food and water available on the island, you won't have to carry as much. I'm not sure I would attempt a full blown camping trip on a H16 to the other islands which are primitive. Depending on your signaling gear, you'll want at least enough food and water to ration over as much time as you think you could possibly be stranded at sea or on a remote part of the island if you have an equipment failure.

Weather; Watch it closely. If a front is in the area, or has recently passed through, you run the risk of too much wind or too little. A trip last fall on the H18 after a storm front came though resulted in a 12 hour crossing, an island landing in the dark, and a $700+ towing bill on the way home. Which reminds me: Consider a BoatUS membership.

You should be heavy weather savvy and know the options available on your boat. For example, if you are not familiar with traveling out, and sheeting IN the Hobie 16 mainsail to de-power it, you need more practice in heavy air. I was not familiar with this concept back in the mid ninties when I entered the Milt Ingram race in 30+ knots on a H16, and got a ride home from the CG. These days, I'm certain I would have gotten back on my own.

The H16 is an overpowered boat. If you do not have reef points and a way to reef your mainsail, consider having a sailmaker install them, and come up with a reefing system. You cannot furl your jib, which is a disadvantage. You've got the option of lowering your main and sailing on jib alone. Lowering the main on a H16 at sea would be challenging, especially in the conditions that would warrant it.

Do not attempt the crossing unless you can right the boat yourself. You'll need a water bag, righting pole, or Solo~Right. In very heavy wind and waves, the rules change on righting a Hobie 16. I have more details on that if you need them.

If your standing rigging is more than 3 years old, replace it.

Go over your boat carefully to make sure your equipment is sound.

Decide what might break and bring appropriate tools if reasonable.

Coordinate your trip with the tides, if possible. Pick a date with relatively small variations in the tide levels. Land at a high tide level, ideally a higher tide than what will occur overnight. Depart at a high tide level. Not a requirement, but will make your life easier in not having to move the boat so much.

There are portable roller solutions out there, one being boat fenders on the ends of pipe. However, I have found the best and most compact solution are 2 ft long pieces of 3" black ABS pipe. These can be laid down on the sand and used as skids to slid your hulls over. Have at least four of them, two for each side to relay their positions as you move your boat up the beach. If you have deck ports, they may fit inside your hulls.

Face the fact that you may be beating up your boat. If it's a pristine racing boat, and you want to keep it that way, an island trip isn't a good idea.

At the very least, wear a wetsuit with some sort of spray suit over it to keep the wind off you. Cheap raincoats work. The best option: A quality breathable drysuit worn over fleece.

My own gear list (without the camping gear), not necessarily all inclusive:

- Type III PFD (NOT inflatable).

- Trap Harness

- Life line connected to a jack line that runs across the trampoline allowing me to tack without unclipping

- At least one VHF (I carry 3, one per man on PFDs and a spare on the boat)

- A cell phone

- At least one GPS (I carry 2)

- A personal EPIRB attached to PFD

- A SPOT locator with position reporting subscription.

- Signal light clipped to PFD, that can also be used as a flashlight.

- At least one flashlight in addition to above

- A whistle attached to PFD

- Signal mirror. (A CD works well)

- Flares (Aerial worn on person, handheld on boat)

- An emergency blanket (one of those small silver mylar ones)

- A First Aid Kit, including Bonine or some other form of Anti-vert

- Sunscreen

- A printed way point list with coordinates in case of GPS data loss.

- A knife, attached to PFD

- Cash and ID

- A Nav Chart

- A tide chart

- Water / Food

- Extra zip lock bag

- Write a very detailed float plan. Examples here: www.catsail.com/floatplans

- After your trip, consider documenting it. Examples here: www.catsail.com/cinp

Finally, in regard to having other boats accompany you, this is not as positive a precaution as it sounds. On multi-boat trips to Catalina, I was surprised at how easily the other boats can become out of sight, even in clear weather. And if the choice of going with other boats is safety, think it over. If conditions get really nasty, everyone else may be in just as much trouble as you. And any boat that is perceived to be missing could lead all the other boats to stay in rough conditions to try to find them. The trade off for getting assistance from other boats is that you may be required to provide it yourself. And a beach catamaran makes for a piss-poor rough seas rescue vessel, in my opinon. I'm not dead set against the idea. I'm just pointing out that there downsides as well as benefits.

Sorry I'm so wordy.

Hope this all helps somewhat. Contact me at bill(dot)mattson(at)verizon(dot)net if you want more info, or want to chat about it.

Bill

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • Also: A hand bearing compass.

--
    Bill Mattson
    Prindle 19 "Gelli Bean"
    Prindle 19 "Cat's Pajamas"
    Nacra 5.2 (Will sail her a bit and let her name herself)
    --
  • Thanks mattson!

That's the stuff I was looking for!!! not someone to " Save my Life" even though the advice that was giving, just might.
    My intent was not to demean anyone else's sailing advice or opinion, rather to gain insight about a trip I have not done before. I will not go into detail about my sailing background, and exspose myself to that minefield, but suffice to say I have a 34 yrs. nautical history raging from racing Laser's to a 14 mo. liveaboard cruise with my wife and 2 sons, and still know I can learn something from everybody.
    That's one problem with an internet forum, when you ask a general question, you get what you asked for, and sometimes more than you aked for.
    I must say your list is quite extensive, but very comprehensive, I had thought of most of the items....but I will admit, not all. As with most sailing adventures, weather is the most important call. Is there a specific weather pattern that you look for or stay away from? Assuming you stay away from deep lows, but perhaps a weak low would give you a favorable south wind, or is a post frontal north flow is better? or just a big friendly high?

Thanks for eveyones input, I appreciate anyones construtive advice on how to make my solo trip more safe, and enjoyable.

Blue Skies, Blue Seas,

Shaddo
  • Bill and Gary are the kings of this crossing, with many years of experience. I've listened to Gary's stories on several occaisions, and I'm always impressed with his committment to safety and comprehensive planning. Bill's post here seems very thorough, but if you want more input, contact me and I'll put you in touch with Gary.

Dave
  • mattsonI've been beachcat sailing to the Channel Islands for about 10 years.

Bill,

Thanks very much for stopping by! Don't be a stranger, lots of West coast and general questions popup that could use your input.

Thanks,

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Yes! Dave,

Have Gary pm me, if he's on this forum.

Shaddo
  • pbegleEdChris177, Great story recounted by Gary (and Alan. But the story I have not heard yet is how Gary lost his Mystere 20 out in the channel. Pete

This was Gary's post after he broke

"Hi folks! Checking in to report the passing of Whisk, the Channel Islands National Park cruising 6.0.

Between the dolphin striker vertical post and the underlying truss known as a martingale, there is a cast piece that I will call a shoe. The Nacra 5.8 has the same kind of shoe. The difference is that the Mystere striker shoe has a locator rivet in it. This rivet hole appears to have encouraged my martingale to fail.

My martingale parted at the center in a total tension failure; it just pulled apart, very cleanly. You could guess the result but here it is:

Mast drove downward. Crossbar cracked all the way though, even through the mast perch. Mast blew leeward, pulling the bows together with via the bridle wires. Windward hull rolled from the tension on the windward shroud pulling to leeward as the mast came to nearly parallel to the water.

The twisting of the hull ripped the inside front and rear crossbar to hull bolts on the windward hull out of their threaded attachments.

BTW, The windward chainplate bent to leeward and still did not rip away like I read that Andrew's did.

Mast base struck the trampoline and drove that through the inside gunwale of the windward hull, near the centerboard.

The holed windward hull sunk to the surface being buoyed by it's foam sandwich construction. That took about 30 minutes to happen since the air had a hard time escaping.

Two sailors in the water in the ocean with life vests on were not hurt. Both had waterproof VHF radios that were used to summon help. Los Angeles County Lifeguards (Baywatch) came to the rescue bearing bolt cutters. Vessel Assist took over the tow after we had the boat in towable condition and we were being given a dry ride back home by the Lifeguards.

When the Lifeguards asked us if we had any injuries I stated that I hurt my feelings.

September trip to Catalina Island canceled.

GARY, sailing the Western Continental Shelf
    I'm glad no one was hurt.
    It sounds like a devastating breakdown.
    Were there services for Whisk?
    Feels like losing a family member.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.