Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Anchoring off the beach  Bottom

• So I'm trying to keep the beach wear on the bottom to a minimum. I've got a nice anchor, chain, and buoy. I'd like to just roll the boat to the water on the beach wheels, and hook in to an anchor that's already set. Same goes for coming back in.

Last time I anchored off the beach, I released the main blocks from the boom, raised the rudders, and furled the jib. I couldn't believe how much it was swinging around !! It was crazy, just going up and down the beach, the whole length of the scope. Beach faces West and it was a NW onshore breeze.

What's the trick to this besides two anchors?
  • Drop the sails...
  • Run a thicker line to the center as a back-up, but run a smaller bridle line to each bow. did that for years when I was camping. Did the same to a larger trimaran that was doing the same thing. ran a bridle and it stopped running side to side.
  • Tighten the outhaul and loosen the downhaul.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • You never said where you attached the anchor line. My choice would be from the bridal wires, if you attached it to the dolphin striker, I could see why it was moving around.
  • HULLFLYERYou never said where you attached the anchor line. My choice would be from the bridal wires, if you attached it to the dolphin striker, I could see why it was moving around.

I've got it attached around my front crossbar. So how do you attach to the bridle wires? Just tie hitches to each wire, make a "V", and tie that off to my anchor line?
  • yes, make a anchor bridal by attaching a "v" to each bridal tang on the bow . If you have a front crossbar, you can attach it somehow to the center... that will work fine. Some people even attach it to their spin pole end.. i personally think that "over works" your rigging in waves... etc

no one has mentioned it that i saw.. but you must leave your boom / blocks attached to your (centered) travler, or it will dance.. dance ,.... dance. Ron was correct too about release your down/ tighten your outhaul

If you have beach wheels.. threre is no reason you should be "wearing" on your hulls. dont slide your hulls around, only your wheels. If you are worried about small micro scratches from where the hulls/transoms rest on the sand.. .use foam pads (camping mat) or make protectors out of bungee/water noodles so they never touch

lastly: i think putting (AND LEAVING) an anchor in the water near any public area is a terrible idea (no reflection on you.. i dont know where you are talking about)... but to have a metal anchor somewhere a person can step on it.. or another boat can sail onto it and suffer.. is bad mojo. Even if you have a float on it... your float will not be directly above the anchor so you have created an underwater hazard...
  • MN3no one has mentioned it that i saw.. but you must leave your boom / blocks attached to your (centered) travler, or it will dance.. dance ,.... dance. Ron was correct too about release your down/ tighten your outhaul

I detatch my upper blocks completely from the boom.
    So not only do I keep them attached, but are you saying I sheet them in as well?

Don't want bad mojo, it's a very public beach, so I'll not be leaving it then. I like my mojo.
  • Where are you trying this? What kind of beach? It must not be something with much wave action, correct?

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
    I detatch my upper blocks completely from the boom.
    So not only do I keep them attached, but are you saying I sheet them in as well?

Yes, keep them attached and sheeted in (no need to over-sheet, just mostly tight) ..

this will make your boat point into the wind... this plus the 2 other sheeting actions mentioned (uncleat downhaul, tighten outhaul) will help the boat behave

however.. if low tide takes out the water and it gets hit with a shift/gust ... then it may just flip

Edited by MN3 on Apr 11, 2012 - 01:25 PM.
  • We beach a lot and have anchored now and then. We always take the block off and downhaul off. I have seen boats sail away with anything sheeted. Me personally, I would never ever leave anything sheeted anytime the boat was unmanned. JMHO, YMMV

As for the swinging you need a second bridle that runs from the bows. If you plan to do this often, make one that will clip to the dolphin striker when not in use. Clip it to the bouy and then back to the dolphin striker. On the big (40ft) cats all of them have anchor bridles. Run the windlass out and hook up the bridle, never just the anchor line. HTH, Ricardo.

Edited by RicardOben on Apr 16, 2012 - 06:01 AM.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.