Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Gibbs Phoenix - What to do with it..?  Bottom

• I recently rescued a Gibbs 18 Phoenix. I know these are few and far between, but don't know exactly what that means to the rest of the cat community (rare because no one wants them, or rare therefore they are cool and everyone wants one). it has a couple soft spots, and needs some repair, but it also has some really good things about it. The mast and boom are straight, the tramp is great, daggerboard, rudders, blocks, etc., etc., etc., all there and complete. This thing is cool, and I am intrigued by the design (broad, flat hulls, textured tops, etc). I just don't know that I have the time to dedicate to this toy (too many toys right now!!) So where do I go from here? Would someone want to buy it as a restore project, do I part it out (sell parts, cannibalize some for myself)? Any input from you guys would be great! Also - I live in iowa, not a real hotbed of cat enthusiasts...

--
    Tyler

Hobie 14, Gibbs 18 Phoenix, Various other assorted money pits...

Iowa
    --
  • We want to see some pictures!

--
    Stefan, Denmark.
    H14,H16,P16,P18,SC17,N5.8
    Team StaySail
    http://www.staysail.eu
    --
  • tweedI recently rescued a Gibbs 18 Phoenix.

Welcome to TheBeachcats.com, I always think it's cool when one of these appear.

tweed
    don't know exactly what that means to the rest of the cat community (rare because no one wants them, or rare therefore they are cool and everyone wants one).

Usually these older design (dead boat society) are labors of love by the owners, very low production numbers combined with the passing decades means there are very few complete boats or parts.

I'm constantly on the lookout for information on these extinct designs, so if you do get your boat together it would be great if you could share pics in the Phoenix 18 Identification album at
    http://thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=80294

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I'll definitely get some pictures later, it needs a serious bath first... it is complete, just a bit rough, the guy I got it from was sailing it last year (even though it hasn't been registered since 97, but sailed it once, then just set it in his field. Besides being filthy, having 2 soft spots I've found so far, and a broken rudder, it's definitely all there, the sail is actually in nicer shape than the one I'm using to sail my hobie 14 right now!

--
    Tyler

Hobie 14, Gibbs 18 Phoenix, Various other assorted money pits...

Iowa
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.