Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Travelers - How to keep things from tangling?  Bottom

• So far my only experience with catamarans has been a very decrepit Hobie 14 and a much less decrepit Prindle 16. I can't remember the setup on the Hobie, but the traveler on the Prindle was really simple: The traveler line ran from the rear beam up and through the shackle on the traveler, and then through a pivoting padeye and through a cam cleat. Really simple 2:1 system.

I'm working on setting up a Pacific Cat, and I'm at the point where I'm rebuilding the traveler system. It's nothing like the one on the Prindle. Here's a shot of the setup:

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=83749&g2_serialNumber=4

The line starts at the bail on the block attached to the traveler car, runs outboard to a sheave at the end of the traveler track, runs back through the block attached to the traveler car, and then back out to a sheave and pivoting cam cleat attached below the traveler track. It's a not-so-simple 3:1 system.

I asked another Pacific Cat sailor about this, and he assured me that without at least a 3:1 traveler, it's seriously tough to change the traveler setting without letting out the main. So I kept the existing traveler setup.

But this raises a question: With the Prindle, there wasn't much risk of tangling during a tack (or a jibe, but I'll stick with a tack to keep life simple on this description). As you go through the wind, pressure comes off the traveler, the line goes slack, and the traveler slides across to the other side before taking up load again. Ok, ok, so in practice by the time I started the tack I had the traveler centered, then let it out on the opposite tack. But you get the idea: it's tough for the traveler line to foul.

Not so on this beastie, or so it would seem. I'm planning to set it up with a single line so there's just a loop of line on deck, but no matter how I set it up when I go from one tack to the other, the leeward line looks like it's going to foul.

I haven't had this boat out on the water yet. Still too much hull work to do between now and then. But I'm a little concerned about this traveler setup. Am I over-reacting, or does this look as prone to tangling as I think it does?

For anyone who's got a similar mechanical advantage on their traveler, how do you set yours up?

Thanks,

Tom

P.S. In case you caught the long screws holding the blocks on the traveler, no, those aren't permanent. The threaded holes on this traveler are massively wallowed out, with only a few threads catching on one side and no threads catching on the other. I'm planning to re-thread both holes with Helicoil inserts to restore them. At that point the short bolts and lock washers go in with Loctite. But that's a whole 'nuther project.

P.P.S. One kinda cool thing about this setup is that you can pull the traveler way past centerline. So it's got some neat options for sailing close to the wind. Now I just need to get it out on the water!

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --
  • It looks like the traveler is setup pretty much like a Jib sheet with a continuous line and a cleat on each side. Hard to say but I'm not sure if tangling will be to big a deal and tacking will just be a matter of setting the travel out distance to be about the same on each side so when you com around it will go out the same distance it was at but on the opposite side. You may have to watch the wind as it might be harder to travel out quickly if you need to keep things flat but you really would dump the main if you needed to quickly anyway.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Thanks for that. I'm feeling better about taking this out on the water. I guess I really need to just give it a try before I stress out about it. Worse comes to worst, if it proves to be a PITA on the water I can lock it at centerline and sail the boat back to the harbor so I can stew about it.

I've been looking at pictures of Harken's windward sheeting cars, trying to figure out how they avoid fouling. I guess it's essentially the same problem. If it's not an issue for them, it shouldn't be an issue for me. (Then I looked at the prices on Harken's windward sheeting cars. CRIPES! Now I don't feel so bad about how much I had to pay for the Helicoil repair kit!)

Thanks again.

Tom

--
    Tom Benedict
    Island of Hawaii
    P-Cat 18 / Sail# 361 / HA 7633 H / "Smilodon"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.