Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Need advice on refinishing EPO rudders  Bottom

• I have a set of Epo's that have the glass showing on one side most likely from being stored on the tramp
    in the sun. I would appreciate any advice on the proper method to refinish these.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=83531&g2_

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • I used an automotive grade, hi gloss black rattle can spray paint. I did multiple light coats and lightliy sanded each coat with 1000+ paper. After two seasons and stored outside they still look great. Only wear area is where it rubs in the hinge point.

I had glass showing like your picture but not quite as much area. With the multiple thin (5-6) coats they smoothed out nicely. I hung them up as I painted them as well to keep dust from settling on them. The idea came from a power boat fiberglass repair buddy of mine.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNwMgX48uwQ

I've got 4 epo's to repair and the previous set we did exactly like this and it turns out great. BTW mine look exactly like yours
  • Did you need to use the filler on the exposed glass or is the epoxy alone enough to cover it?

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    --
  • This edition of the Hotline has some instructions in bringing them back to better than new.
    http://www.w1dm.com/projects/HOTLINE/11-04-06%20HOTLINE.pdf
  • We just use the filler for any nicks on the TE or LE. Otherwise just mix up some epoxy and graphite powder and you should be good to go. Sand down like you would finish the hulls and it will look brand new
  • Sounds easy enough. Already have the epoxy. Where does one find graphite powder?

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    --
  • Wherever they sell WEST system epoxy. Comes in a can for about $20. You get a lot in the can. A little bit really makes the epoxy black.
  • yeah it tells you on the can its like 10% to the amount of epoxy or something like that
  • I tried the west systems route on mine the first coat was great then I did a second coat and it bubbled up bad. Im in Houston so I think it just kicked to fast or something if you can do it in a climate controlled area the west system route looks great otherwise I would just spray paint them.
  • My 2 cents:

I used a little colloidal silica, otherwise the epoxy tended to "run" before it set. However, I wasn't using West and I didn't use a foam roller.....that could be the difference. (Jeremy's awesome videos weren't around back then.) Be careful not to add too much width to the head.....EPO heads are already large, and you want to be sure it will still fit in the castings. The graphite doesn't cut all the UV rays, so they can eventually dull/get chalky if left in the sun. I use a topcoat of appliance epoxy paint (cheap and easy to touch up) and cheap rudder covers....has kept them looking great for a very long time.

Take care of those things....they're good as gold!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.